Chapter 5

Seungri

As I leaned on the wall of my middle school, making small talk with a fellow classmate, I was impatient for the bell to ring. For one, I was never that good at small talk. For another, I was one of the rare people who enjoyed class more than break. When I was in class, at least I could keep my head down, do my work, and not have to talk to anyone. I didn't raise my hand much, and my grades were average. I did the bare minimum to keep my parents happy. I didn't like attention, nor did I like talking to anyone.

My name is Lee Seung Hyun. I consider myself to be the average, ordinary South Korean student. I don't boast. I am confident, but I am also quiet. I know my own abilities well, but I do not like to show off. I had a small circle of friends, but especially lately, I have been feeling as if I only hang out with them so that I don't look like a loner, so that I don't attract a lot of attention. Oh yeah, and I can dance.

A while ago, I participated in a show, and competed against several other guys. I don't like to talk about that, because then people would ask me to dance, and I would have to make up an excuse to say no. I hated being in the spotlight, and I had been extremely nervous while performing on the show. That was why I didn't want to do anything like that ever again.

Another thing: I'm a YG trainee. Needless to say, I do what they tell me, and if it's not enough, I do a little bit more, until they're satisfied. When I go to YG headquarters, several times, I see two guys, maybe one or two years older than me, always talking passionately over a small notepad in the lobby. I never had the courage to approach them and ask what it was about, but I assumed they were YG trainees too. Little did I know I would be seeing them much more often.

I usually don't admit it, but I can dance quite well for a teenager. It's the only thing I'm genuinely proud of. When I dance, I imagine shaking the rhythm out of my body, and after that, it all comes naturally.

When I'm alone, I fantasize about becoming a professional dancer, performing with a band in front of a large crowd. I only wish I was that kind of person who would have the courage to actually do that.

That was why when YG told me that I should take singing lessons with my dancing, I was surprised. I never thought my voice was anything that could attract their attention. Even though I was going through the changes of puberty, my voice still seemed as high as ever.

When I sang, I was usually out of breath by the end, but my instructors kept telling me to do it again and again, insisting that this was for the best for me.

My parents were supportive, but they always wanted me to be the best, which was not my goal. I just wanted to get good enough to pass by. That was my philosophy my entire life. I guess I never had any real motivation to actually be the best.

Oh, how soon that would change.

"Hey Seunghyun," My younger sister Hana greeted me as soon as I opened our front door as I came back from school. "Mom wants to talk to you." She sang in a singsong voice. I gulped, trying to think of what I did.

"YG says they're starting a five to six person band, Seunghyun." Mom told me when I found her in the living room. "They want you to try out."

"Wait, what?" I wasn't sure I heard correctly. What had I done extremely well to deserve this? Just the thought of dancing and oh god, singing in front of a panel of judges made me sick.

"They say your singing has gotten really good lately, and you can dance," Mom continued. "I'm sure you'll make it."

I started to protest, but Hana ran up, cheering, "Yeah, Seunghyun, you can do it!"

"I'm proud of you, Seunghyun," Mom smiled at me. "You've really been working hard, and you deserve this chance to become something bigger. I'm glad our family has you."