Surprise?

As Harry put me down I felt him sigh and I couldn’t help but regret saying what I had. Edward picked up Codi and took her out into the garden to play while we talked; Harry took a seat on the sofa running his hands through his hair.

“What’s going on Scarlett?” He asked at last as I sat down next to him.

“Erm… I’m guessing you want the truth. Okay, well see the thing is… you know the night I had that dinner with Edward while you looked after Codi, about April I’d say. Well it happened again… I was raped and now…I’m pregnant and we haven’t slept together yet and he’s the only guy since James and the one night stand. Yeah… so say something?” I explained unable to even look him in the eyes.

“Do you want to keep it?” He asked suddenly

“I don’t know.” I told him truthfully.

“Right… Well I guess once you know we’ll decide what to do from there. For now, I need some space so why don’t you go and get ready to see Ruby. Are you taking Codi with you?” he told me and I shook my head.

“No, I don’t know how long it’ll take.” I explained and he nodded before I headed up the stairs. Hmm… what do you wear to meet your daughter who you’ve never met since they were born? Eventually I decided upon a black wrap around dress and some black flats, I pulled my hair into ponytail and applied some make-up. Once I was ready I headed downstairs hesitantly where Codi was crying on the floor. “Codi darling, what’s the matter?” I asked picking her up.

“Your idiot of a boyfriend decided it would be funny to push her over.” Edward announced as Codi nestled into my shoulder.

“What? Harry, what were you thinking?” I asked angrily.

“Nothing, just like you when you didn’t take precautions on your little one night stand clearly.” He told me snidely.

“Oh for goodness sake, is this how it’s going to be now? In that case, I’m going to take Codi with me to meet Ruby. Right come on, let’s go and find you a pretty dress.” I announced taking Codi up the stairs to get ready.

20 Minutes Later

Sat at a table I waited patiently while Codi sipped at her orange juice. She was starting to get a bruise on her forehead; how I’m going to explain that to people I don’t know. A few minutes later, the spitting image of me walked into the pub and walked hesitantly over to the table.

“Ruby…” I started and she nodded taking a seat. “Sorry, this is Codi. My friends daughter, before she died she asked me to take her in. babysitting problems tonight.” I explained and she nodded.

“It’s fine, your boyfriend not joining us then?” she asked and I shook my head

“No, he’s the reason we have Codi tonight. He pushed her over.” I explained and he mouthed dropped open.

“Poor mite, did you have an argument then?” she asked concerned.

“Yeah, but not just about Codes, this might be a bit of a sore subject for you but well I’m pregnant and it’s not his. See before we got together I had this one night stand and then I was raped a few weeks ago.” I told her and she nodded.

“I see are you keeping it?” she asked smiling.

“I’m not sure yet.” I told her and she nodded sympathetically. “Anyway Ruby, I want to get to know everything about you. Nobody cares about my boring life eh?” I announced and she smiled.

“Erm… that’s exactly why I wanted to meet with you today.” She started before pulling off her coat to reveal a very pregnant bump.

“Oh my god Ruby, you’re pregnant. You look as though you could have it any minute. “I spoke unsure of my own reaction towards this. Was I even allowed one?

“Yeah, 8 and a half months. My children’s home has actually kicked me out for it. Also you might know the father a little too well.” She explained. That’s curious.

“Really, who is it? Also you’re moving in with me. No arguments.” I told her and she smiled genuinely at me.

“Okay, well his name is Harry Michaels.” She blurted out causing me to splutter my drink all over the table.

“What? Are you sure?” I asked and she nodded.

“I think there are some things you should know about Harry. First thing being, I doubt that it’s the first time he’s hurt Codi since you’ve been looking after her. Also, he’s the guy that raped you when you got pregnant with me and he made a point of tracking you down. See when you ran away afterwards you dropped your school ID card with all your details on which he used to find you. I think the best thing you can do is dump him and get on with your life. Most of all, I think we can help each other get through the next year.” She explained and tears poured down my cheeks.

As we sat in a comfortable silence, I had a bad feeling something was wrong. I was right. When I looked down onto the floor all I could see was blood and suddenly the sharp pains started.

“OH MY GOD! Ruby rings an ambulance.  In my bag use my mobile and ring Edward as well to explain. Do not contact Harry at all.” I told her and she set to work.

“Auntie Scarlett?” Codi asked in a small voice looking worried.

“Everything’s okay darling, we just need to go to the hospital.” I reassured her smiling.

“Like mummy did, am I going to have to live with Eddie?” she asked and I shook my head.

“No, you’re staying right with me, I promise.” I told her hugging her.   

A week later:

Knock, Knock

As I opened the door I sighed before slamming it shut again. I slid down the side of it and put my head on my knees ready to listen to today’s set of excuses.

“Scarlett, I don’t know what you think I’ve done but it’s not true. I love you and that’s all that matters. Yes I pushed Codi over, but that was an accident and she’s fine anyway.” He started. “little brat.” He muttered under his breath causing my anger to come to a boiling point. I opened the door, punched him in the nose and slammed the door shut again.

“You alright mum?” Ruby asked waddling into the living room.

“Of course, how are you doing? Baby kicking away?” I asked smiling.

“Yeah, now how are you feeling about the… ugh… miscarriage?” she replied and I smiled.

“I’m over it, I’ll have another child when I’m ready.” I explained and she smiled.

A moment later Edward walked through the door with a bag full of material.

“Yes, I know, I know. It’s late but I have an emergency. I need you to make me a suit for an event tomorrow. I bought the stuff, can you do it?” he asked panting.

“Of course, give me the stuff. I’ll make a start right now.” I told him taking the stuff up the stairs into my workroom.

When I went to look in the room, I noticed a piece of card poking out. When I picked it up, I knew the real reason Edward was here.

Dear my lovely Scarlett,

I know your still fragile about the last week. I just wanted to ask you if you would like to accompany me to the pub tonight. Ruby has informed me that she will have her phone glued to her hand and will look after Codi.

Your

Edward x

Did Edward just ask me out on a date? I don’t know whether this feels right. I mean technically he’s married to Amy. Hmm… I suppose it can’t hurt… right? Oh what the hell I’m going to do it. Even if it is just to see the look on Harry’s face.