Ready For Prom

Day 6: Write a scene where you absolutely love the outfit one of the characters is wearing.

- - -

It was the night of Prom. My nerves were off the charts as I pulled up in front of Cassie's house. She's been waiting for this night for a long time and I just wanted everything to be perfect.

I grabbed her corsage from the passenger seat and got out of the car. After straightening out my tie for the last time, I walked straight to their front door. I knocked thrice and tried to calm down my racing heartbeat.

After a minute or two, Cassie's mom opened the door and led me inside. I met her dad for the first time, and I could feel him quietly scruinizing me the whole time we waited for her to come down. He was clearly frowning under his thick white mustache, and his eyebrows were knit together as if he was trying to figure me out. Before I could be forced to make small talk, a flash of pink caught my eye. I turned my head to the top of the stairs and felt all the air get knocked out of me.

Cassie stood there, chestnut brown hair tied behind her head, make-up lightly highlighting her features. She wore a pink floral dress and yellow stilletos. Her smile was luminescent as she climbed down the stairs.

For a while I couldn't look at anything else. The world disappeared around me. My heart slowed down and it felt like I was floating. I'd never seen anything more beautiful in my life.

I held out my hand to her as she made her way down the last few steps.

"Ready?" she said.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Ready."

This was going to be the best night of my life.