Dateless

Day 12: Write a scene that involves the word angel.

- - -

Patrick was slumped over his lunch tray with his head in his hand, an ominous frown on his face.

"Still no date for prom, Pat?" Arnold said, sitting next to him and patting him on the shoulder.

"Why am I even trying?" he practically groaned. "Nobody's ever going to go with me."

"Hey, don't give up. You still have a week left. You'll find her," Arnold encouraged with a shrug as he picked at his lumpy mashed potatoes. "Even he did."

Patrick knew who he was talking about. He looked up and found their other friend, Jack, with his new girlfriend, Allisa. They were talking by the cafeteria doors, eyes zoned entirely on each other. After a while she bent down and gave him a kiss on the cheek before sauntering over to her friends. He waved goodbye and walked lazily towards Patrick and Arnold, an unusual bounce in his step. Patrick guessed that was what love did to you.

"Hey guys," Jack said with a smug nod. "See me with my girl?"

"The one six inches taller than you? Yeah, we noticed," Arnold snorted.

"Don't be jealous, Arnie," he smoothly retorted, slamming down on the other chair beside Patrick. "You're not happy with Becca, are you? I told you she was a little too rabbit-toothed for you, dude."

"Don't fool yourself." Arnold rolled his eyes. "Becca's totally cuter than Allisa."

"In what angle?!" Jack laughed, disbelieving. "Look at my girl! She's flawless!"

"Except for her really big forehead."

"What did you say?" Only then did Jack's arrogant expression falter. "Dude, you know she doesn't like it when you..."

Their words seemed to trail off inside Patrick's head, lost in the cafeteria's airconditioning. Their argument faded far into the background as Callie Mischka entered the room.

She was the single most beautiful girl Patrick had ever laid his eyes on. And it wasn't just him, it was the whole school. With soft golden blonde hair, bright blue eyes framed with thick long lashes, she enchanted the entire student body. She had Kiera Knightley's nose, Angelina Jolie's mouth and prominent cheekbones that always had a pink glow about them. Patrick's gaze travelled up and down her body; a great chest, a narrow waist, hips wide as a river and long legs. Her flowy dress fanned out around her thighs as she walked, making her look like an angel.

"What are you looking at?" she said to him all of a sudden, puffy lips formed into a scowl.

Patrick's mouth fell slightly open in surprise. Before he could even respond, her eyes had moved away from him and she was gone, disappearing into the cafeteria crowd.

"Man, you don't want that," Arnold told him. "She may look like an angel, but she's more like the devil."

Patrick thought back to the time he saw Callie hitting a fat kid with a stick in the sixth grade, and how he'd seen her do the same thing just two days ago.

"You read my mind," Patrick said, holding his head in his hand, still without a date to the prom.