Old Videos

Day 16: Write a scene based off something that occurred in your life.

- - -

It was the result of an incredibly boring summer day. I was stuck at home with nothing to do, so I meddled around our bookshelf for some entertainment. Opening the zipper of that old dusty bag felt like one of those intriguing scenes in the movies where the protagonist discovers an ancient box in the attic filled with secrets. But no, what I found in that blue suitcase was memories.

Inside was our old video camera, the one that I used to play with all the time before it got wrecked in the earthquake. It doesn't turn on anymore if it isn't plugged in. So that's what I did--I took its charger out and stuck the power cord to the wall. I went to the gallery and, to my utter shock, found videos of me and my friends, taken when we were still in high school. I thought, Okay...this should be interesting. So I went ahead and pressed play.

Video #1

It was lunch time, and me and my best friends were gathered around a cafeteria table. The camera was pointed at Paige. I guess it was taken in the middle of our conversation, a conversation that had long since faded in my memory.

"The one from 9Gag?" she asked Karlie, the one who was holding the camera.

"Yeah?"

"Are you taking a video?"

"No." A lie. An expertly delivered lie.

"So did you guys see that picture in 9Gag? The one of that old man with a really muscular right arm?" She giggled at what the picture in question suggested.

"What about it?" Peyton interjected.

"Nothing!" Then she turned to Karlie. "You're taking a video. Do you want to get punched?"

Then she focused the camera on Allie.

"I have to tell you guys something," she said with a wide smile on her face.

"What is it?" seemed to be everybody's mumbled response.

Allie seemed to be scrolling through her phone, when she noticed the camera.

"Don't take a video of it!" she protested, squirming in her seat.

"What? I'm not doing anything. Sheesh," said Karlie, keeping up the lie of a deactivated camera.

"It's embarrassing!" Allie squealed.

"It's not on, I swear!" Karlie assured.

"No. Turn it off..."

"It is off."

Allie gave Karlie a stern look, a look that said she wasn't going to talk until she turned the camera off. After three seconds, Karlie finally did.

Video #2

In the second video, someone had come to visit me at the table. It was one of my closest friends, Sierra. I couldn't quite understand what we were talking about at first, though, because we were caught in the middle of another conversation I couldn't remember. From the bits and pieces I happened to catch, she was borrowing something from me (a book, maybe?) that I had already lent to one of our other friends. I looked extremely annoyed of her begging.

"Decide amongst yourselves," I told her. "I don't really care who gets to borrow it next as long as it comes back to me by the end of the day." With that, I shooed her away, and she posed at the camera that was pointed at us.

When she left, Karlie moved the camera towards Shay, who smiled and waved, then to Peyton, who was sitting right next to her. She smiled, waved and said, "Mahalo."