The New Boy

I sat silently, drumming on my books with my pencil to the beat, 'Ain't No Sunshine,' ironic, since my name is Sunshine, and there ain't none of that in my life. Basically, my life sucks 95% of the time. I must say, my parents love me very much, and I love them and am very thankful to have them in my life, but sometimes, I wish I had a social life... like I don't know... some friends may help. I'm really quite sweet and bright, its just there is really no one in my life to 'cheer' me on to do my best. I'm not goth or emo or anything, I just feel like this first half of life is a bit pointless, and I can't wait to get out of high school. I have absolutely 0 friends, people are apparently scared of me. Most of my 'friends' from the past have just left me. So, I decided to just block everyone who tried to talk to me out (except my parents) until the end of high school. I'm currently a Sophomore. One year down, three to go. 

I 'listened' to the teacher drone on about the stupid math lesson. I honestly don't see how the Pythagorean Theorem is ever going to help us in life. I looked helplessly out the window, deep in thoughts, which I snapped out of as I heard my teacher, Mr. Hill, say my name.  He pointed to me- or rather, the seat next to me. He was talking to a new boy, the boy nodded frantically and shuffled over to his newly assigned seat. 

"Hey!" he said excitedly. 

"Hi." I said in a monotoned voice, pulling my sleeves around my fists. He frowned and turned his attention to the teacher. 

...

The bell rang, to show the end of 5th period. There was one more period until I got to go home, and I am so excited. I walked to class with a suppose 'skip' in my step, at least, for me it was a skip. 

"Hi again!" I turned to see the same new kid walking in step next to me. 

"Um-" I began to turn him away, then thought it might be interesting to see what would happen if we actually became friends, "hi," I sighed.

The boy looked content with being able to get me to speak, "I'm Eli"

"Sunshine," I said sticking my hand in his face.

He shook it and chuckled.

"What?" I eyed him.

"You don't seem like the type of girl with the name Sunshine.." he explained.

"Ahh," I agreed, "wasn't my choice," I defended.

"Sun? You're actually talking to someone other than me?" Lauren laughed as we approached her.

Okay I lied. I actually have one friend.

One.

Hey, one good friend is better than a bunch of fake ones. Right?

We weren't exactly best friends, but we were neighbors so we walked home together.

"Yah, yah," I said rolling my eyes. Lauren and I were exact opposites, she was all frilly and stuff, and I... wasn't. Probably why we weren't BEST friends. As stated previously. Lauren flipped her gorgeous blond hair and fluttered her glassy blue eyes.

...

Science, aka my 6th period, flew by quickly, and soon the bell rang. As I nearly flew to my locker, and  spun in the combination, I noticed Eli was following me. I swung open the door, exchanging the books I needed with books I didn't and calmly said, "Would you mind not stalking me?"

I glanced up at Eli's goofy looking smile, which made me laugh under my breath. 

"Sorry," he said, "but I'm walking home with you!" 

"What?" I said, slamming the locker door shut, making him wince.

"I'm your new neighbor?" he said almost as if I should know this fact.

"Oh- didn't notice." I said coolly. 

"M-hm," he rolled his eyes, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Lets go," I slung my bag over my shoulder, and walked towards Lauren's locker. Eli followed.