Chapter 3

Times were becoming difficult with things getting really tough at office. The competition was really high. Everyone wanted a promotion , a better salary and also a more advanced lab to work in.

For myself, I wanted the promotion solely for the joy of researching. Not that you cant research in this lab, it depends on you, but another thing is that when you have an aim (some thing that you have to work on for the company) you cant deviate from it.

Actually if you are someone who reasons every thing out before being able to learn it this is what you have to go through lifelong.

In your job you have to do things according to your company and the boss. You can only get liberty to research as your heart desires when you are at a high position in you job.

All The employees, even the friends I had were crossing the limits of possible sabotage to reach the enviable top. And since Joseph was The oldest one working in this lab he was sort of the uncrowned king of everyone in his attempts of sabotage.

Many such attempts had been tried against me. One of them such a deathly one, that it provoked me to even tender my resignation. But eventually I didn't leave as Mr Aron MY BOSS promised to ensure my safety and he was another good person whose image and career would have been spoilt had I done that. I didn't want that to happen to him, so I gave him another chance so that he could be more alert next time.

What Joseph did was ridiculous indeed. He replaced the partially magnetized safitic acid with the completely magnetized one and broke my mfm so that it keeps on leaking and the chemical seeps through my bottle of water that was kept near to it. That chemical acts as a poison and can kill in a short time.

Luckily I didn't have single sip of water after that. I just saw the broken machine and the color of the chemical coming out that was a bit different

Some thing that was even more deadly had already happened a day before that. I really cant describe that incident properly.

My life was becoming tougher and tougher day by day. The thoughts of that man and getting a promotion were clouding my mind .

About the man, I really couldn't figure out much about my feelings towards him. Even if I did think that I like him I found it strange. I mean how can I like someone who I haven't even met? This particular debate went on and on in my mind every time I returned home from job.

The other thing that bothered me the most was my promotion itself. I was trying hard to get it. I used to sacrifice my sleep to make my reports on chemicals and different techniques to make them more durable.

Everyone had to do the same thing and anyone who was successful would get it.

For Joseph it was his third year in this lab. He was actually the oldest one working there in that lab. He had failed twice, but he was the senior of all. He knew how to fool people and to get his work done. He wasn't to good at work maybe, but he was quite good at all that.

Despite all this I thankfully had Emma and Annie on my side. They were a few of those iconic friends i had. They tried their best to help me out and to work hard for themselves too. My bro played an important role in this. I used to talk to him every day, and he used to tell me to forget about all this and indulge me in talks of the latest movie, latest news of f1 etc.

Myself Emma and Annie were three great friends. People were jealous from that.

Once I was testing the purity of gold that was to be used for making ornaments. About 5 people including me were involved in this.

Actually the amount of people working for that experiment varied according to the complexity of the experiment.

Maximum 20 people and minimum 2 people were permitted to work on an experiment. But there was no such rule in the higher lab or that lab on the next floor.

Actually we had a daily time table. Each worker had a different daily time table on which the station number would be written.

Stations were the different segregations made in the lab according to the experiment.

A worker is supposed to report to the respective station and start on the experiment after reading the guidelines written on a paper that was stuck to a huge table in every station.

Also, every station was separated by hologramic walls. And the fingerprints were taken to check the presence of all the required employees.

I really loved that system. This was something that I loved about my office. Almost every thing was organized.

So on that day I was working on station number 1. I had all my concentration on my work. This was after what Joseph did to me.

Suddenly I saw dense red fumes spreading out in the whole room. This was followed by a suffocating smell.

The coughs of people could be heard all around the room.

Slowly the visibility in the room decreased and I could barely see anything. And it became dizzy too.

Some one shouted for help. From the voice I could make out that, that person was in serious trouble and needed instant help.

Station number 1 was the nearest to the door of the lab so we decided that most of us would go to inform management and the rest would go to rescue that person. That person was in the station number 5 which wasn't too far away so we rushed to his aid.

I figured out that it was Emma after taking her to the nursing room and she had been poisoned by the gas. Luckily her life wasn't in danger.

Annie couldn't be seen any where. I went to search for her with a couple of acquaintances.

The visibility was still low, people could still be heard coughing. My body suddenly sank and my eyelids closed.

Annie and Chris were standing next to me and I was on a hospital bed when my eyes opened

And my left arm was covered with bandage and my foot was broken. My stomach was burning for no reason.

"Where am I?" Was the very first question i thought of.

"Your in a hospital. You were found unconscious in your lab" Chris replied.

"Hey Annie! How are you? I mean I hope that you too didn't get hurt?"

" I am OK Melissa. You don't need to worry about me. Nothing happened to me. I wasn't the in office that time. I came late"

"Oh that's great, actually I was searching for you that time, as I couldn't find you I thought that you were stuck. What about Emma?"

"Emma's OK too. She'll be discharged next week."

"Let me tell you that I went to talk to your boss and he has given you a holiday for a month" said Chris excitedly

"So what do you wanna do in that time" asked Annie

" umm I"d love to go to Costa Rica . I have heard that it has lovely beaches. And besides its a lovely place.

"OK that's a good idea. Have fun!!" Annie replied to me

___________________________________________