Chapter Four: The songs of children.

Fili walked toward Oin's home with his head hanging low. The image of his little brothers pained face constantly flashed in his mind. He finally reaches the small house and knocked on the door. "One moment!" Oin's voice sounded flustered. Fili heard shuffling on the other side of the door before it opened. "Oh hello lad. Your brother has been asking for you ever since he woke up."Oin said sympathetically. Fili forced a small smile and asked "How is he?". Oin frowned and didn't reply, he wasn't sure how to tell The young prince that his brother most likely wouldn't make it through the night. Tears pricked at Fili's eyes but he refused to let them fall. "May I see him?" Fili asked hoarsely. "Of course lad, he's in the back room." Oin said while stepping out of the young dwarfs way. Fili simply nodded and walked to the door. He took a deep breath before going in. "F-Fili??" A small voice asked. Fili was shocked to see the condition his little brother was in. He was deathly pale and beads of sweat ran down his face, causing his brown locks to stick to his forehead. "Y-yeah Kee it's me.." Fili said, fighting to keep his tears back. A small smile found its way onto the younger dwarfs face. "It's a-about time you c-came. I've been asking for you for ages! Oin keeps giving me this nasty soupy stuff." Kili whined with a disgusted face. Fili shook his head with a sad smile, even in his worst moments Kili was just as stubborn as his uncle. "How are you feeling Kee?" Fili asked as he walked over and sat beside his brother, wiping some of the sweat of his face. "My stomach really hurts and it hurts to breath.. Oin says that one of my lungs are badly damaged.. " Kili said with a small frown when he saw his older brother wince. "Kili Oh mahal I'm so sorry.." Fili whimpered as tears ran down his face. Kili tried to sit up to hug his brother but let out a pained scream as agony spread through his body. "Kee no don't try to move! What were you thinking?!" Fili yelped as he gently pushed his brother back down. "Y-You were c-crying! I don't want you to be sad Fee." Kili whimpered. Fili sighed sadly and said "You're lucky you didn't reopen you wound... beside that I don't deserve comfort.." Fili mumbled earning a glare from his brother. "Fee this isn't your fault. I shouldn't have scared you like that." Even with how weak his voice was anyone could tell that Kili was serious. Fili just sighed and shook his head, not wanting to argue with his brother. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kili had lasted longer than anyone had expected. But, day after day the young prince grew worse and worse, His wound had grown infected and on top of that he had developed a fever. To say he was hanging on by a thread was a understatement. Kili was slowly dying and despite Oin's effort there was no way of saving the young prince. Fili never left his brothers side despite his younger brothers protests he wouldn't sleep and he would hardly eat or drink. Kili would beg and plead to no avail but Fili never budged. But one day, The sickness seemed worse than it ever had been before. Oin had told Fili moments before that he should probably say his goodbyes.. Now the young dwarf was sitting on the bed while kili snuggled up to him like he used to when he had a bad dream. "F-Fili I'm scared..." Kili whimpered weakly. Tears flowed down the young dwarfs face, he understood he way dying and the idea of it terrified him. Fili took his brothers hand as tears streamed down his own face. He suddenly remembered something that would always calm his brother down when he was scared. "Kee.. Do you want me to sing?" Fili asked softly. Kili looked up at his brother, not even having the strength to speak anymore. Fili smiled softly and began to sing "I saw a light fade from the sky, On the wind I heard a sigh, As the snowflakes cover, my fallen brothers, I will say this last goodbye.. Night is now falling, So ends this day, The road is now calling, and I must away, Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shown, By the silver streams that run down to the sea, Under cloud, beneath the stars, Over snows one winters morn, I turn at last to paths that lead home, And though where the road then takes me I cannot tell, We came all this way, but now comes the day, to bid you farewell, Many places I have been, Many sorrows I have seen, But I don't regret, Nor will I forget all who took the road with me, Night is now falling, So ends this day,The road is now calling, And I must away, Over hill and under tree, Through lands where never light has shone, By silver streams that run down to the sea, To these memories I will hold, With your blessing I will go,To turn at last to paths that lead home, And though where the road then takes me, I cannot tell, We came all this way, But now comes the day, To bid you farewell." Fili looked down to see Kili with his eyes closed his chest was not moving at all to show he was breathing. Fili closed his eyes tightly and tears streamed down his face. "I bid you all... A very fond farewell...."

AN: Hi... please don't kill me! Okay I know this was sad but if it makes you guys feel any better I cried like a baby typing this! Thank you for reading this story and I hope I didn't hurt you guys to bad...

yours truly,

Fangirl_central0711

(I do not own the song in this chapter All rights go to Billy Boyd)