vii

I tried opening my eyes, but the brightness was way too strong. I squinted as I covered my eyes with my palm and went for the curtains. Lethargically, I took one side and whooshed it until the window was completely hidden.

I turned around and saw that the room now suddenly seemed eerie and I couldn't deny that. There was a partial shade of yellow all over the room and it looked disgusting. I opened the curtains again as the bright light illuminated every inch of the room, leaving me dazed for moments.

Despite the encouraging brightness, I was still sleepy and still thought I had to go to the office. It took some time to convince myself that I was on a "vacation" and I didn't have to go; and that I wasn't in my apartment anymore.

As I walked over to the bathroom I saw Aiden was still sleeping. I couldn't have cared less. Drowsy and almost about to sleep on the floor, I went to the bathroom.

I took a short and nice shower, brushed my teeth and combed my hair. I felt new and fresh. A smile was planted on my face, and sleep seemed miles away. I always found it quite surprising how a little hygiene and small sprays of water over the body in the morning could make a person feel fresh; or maybe it was all in our brain, drilled and stuffed that a shower was to make the drowsiness go away. Either way, it made me feel like a new person at the end of the day.

Quite calmed and serene I unlocked the door of the bathroom. The first sight that greeted me took all my serenity away. Aiden was awake and he was sitting on his bed. He had messy hair and his face was in his palms. I still couldn't care less.

I locked the door and headed for the couch. Folding my blanket into a perfect square, and straightening my pillow, I kept them on the bed. I went on and took my phone from the bed-table opposite to Aiden and checked the time, 9:02 AM. It was almost the time for breakfast.

"Wait, do I have to make my own breakfast or?" I thought to myself.

The only way I would get an answer to this was to inquire from the reception. I could've called them but I needed some fresh air. I grabbed my key and searched the room for something else I might need when I made an eye contact with Aiden. It was short, but vague. Neither of us spoke to the other and that was more than fine by me. He sat still on his bed, wondering God knows what.

______________

"I slept like a baby!" I lied to Jill.

"Same, girl." She replied as we strolled through the garden where the buffet was organised. She had some bread on her plate while I only had a salad.

"So, where's Liam?" I asked, noticing his absence.

"Oh, he's there with some of his bros" She said, her mouth full of food. "Where are the sis'?" She asked, continuing.

"What?" I said, giggling. She gulped in her food.

"I mean, where are your girlfriends? Like the sisters?" She said, smiling wide.

"I- I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea." I said, slowing down.
She threw me a confused look.

"I really don't! I mean there's this group around Eve" I said, pointing, "but I don't have the slightest clue why."

"Eve is a bit annoying." She said, strolling again.

I stopped on my tracks. Was this really Jill? I brisked to catch up with her. "Why would you say that?" I said, laughing.

"She just is. Yesterday, she was acting all weird with me in the lobby." She said, chewing.

"I see." I replied. But I knew, deep inside, I still cared for Eve and I would do anything to be best-friends with her again. All I wanted was some time alone with her. I could talk stuff out.