Chapter 3

"Well, we're here, Mulder."
"So we are, so we are."

Mulder grinned and went up to the door. He rang the doorbell. Once. Twice. He knocked, but the door wasn't fully closed and it swung open. He shrugged and entered.

"Hello?" Mulder called.
There wasn't any answer. The house was a mess, and there were papers and pulled out drawers everywhere.

"Mulder, this looks more like someone searching for something than just an unkept abductee."

"Yeah, well. Hey, do you smell that?" Mulder wrinkled his nose.

"Yeah, it's smells like something that burned pretty badly."

Mulder walked to the kitchen and looked around. There wasn't anything. He turned around and checked the toaster. Nothing in it. He opened the oven.

"Hey, Scully you wouldn't count this as something of a balanced breakfast would you?"

Scully walked over.
"Jesus, Mulder..."

Inside the oven was a body, burnt and still smoking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mulder, what are we doing here? A brutal murder like this isn't our place."

Mulder sighed.

"Scully, why don't you ever just think about these things in a different light?"

She walked right up to her partner.

"Because it's my job."

Mulder was so close he could kiss her.

"Well, don't do your job so well, Scully. I think this is a cover up."

"You think everything's a cover up."

Mulder smiled. So close.

Scully smiled back. Almost touching.

"Well, Mulder, I think we better get some of this analyzed, don't you? I mean we can't just stand here all day."

"Can't we?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mulder what are we doing now?"

Mulder tapped the steering wheel. "Going to see the victim's girlfriend. Apparently, there's been some problems between them. Maybe he was a little too hot for her?" He burst out laughing.

"Mulder! Not. Funny." She deadpanned.

"Aw, come on, live a little, will you? You need to wind down sometime. Take a night out, have a nice dinner, maybe with a guy, who knows? It'd be good for you."

"Mulder, I'm not sure what you are getting at. It sounds like you're asking me out on a date, but that'd be ridiculous."

He flinched.

"It would?" he asked, hiding the hurt.

"Well... I don't know. Maybe it wouldn't be all bad, but we are in the midst of a case."

"Aha! So you admit this is worth looking at."

She looked over at him.

"I never said.. well, I guess.. but I was just..."

"Trying to come up with exuses for not wanting to have a good time?"

"I have good times!" Any time with you is good.

"It doesn't seem like it!" I could show you a good time.

"Whatever, Mulder. Let's just go see this woman."

He nodded. "As you wish."