Chapter 3:Back to School

September 10, 2015

Ah, nothing's actually more better than returning back to our school, Primrose Gifted Children's Academy, a huge school known for accepting only gifted children, since spending eight hours away from Brandon's abuses and hatred is something we'd obviously rather take.

I was particularly oblivious to the deluge of noises spinning around me as Martina and I alighted from the bus.

But, Martina then explained,"First day again, Zellie. I could see you're excited as much as I am. Sorry I can't look after you dear; I'm one section higher than you now.  The only thing we're having together is adjoining lockers."

"You're taking Calculus and Advanced Reading! And all those other subjects, Are you?"I said incredulously as my eyes widened.
"Yep!"she giggled,"I am very ecstatic!"
"Yeah, yeah,"I said, a little saddened."I can see....in your eyes."

"Aw, now don't worry, dear"she said motherly as she gave me a big hug,"I promise I will tell you everyday how exciting or boring every lecture is."

That, somehow, cheered me up.

As we went inside the Academy,we saw whole a lot more people, well, teachers and students alike than last school year.

Some kids took their sweet time to reunite with old faces, others hunted for locker numbers, new kids swarmed in and out of the registrar's office and some still just prepared for Orientation.

A few minutes later, I can't keep calm as I dragged my feet in...really. I had mixed emotions swirling in my head.

I recognized a few faces until I saw a familiar face I hadn't seen in the whole of the summer vacation.

"Martina, do you... recognize her?"I asked,pointing at her the shabby girl.
"Who? That girl? Ooh, her name's Eleanor Anderson, in case you forgot, again."

Gosh, of all the people in the world, how could even I forget about Eleanor?

For starters, I can easily describe her as a spoiled bratty girl that came from a very wealthy business-oriented family. Her family always lets her have what she wants and when she wants.

I saw her trudging alongside with her father, going straight to the principal's office in our hallway just across our lockers.

Another conference, for sure. I thought.

As they went in the office,some other students glanced nervously at her as though they were really hoping that we won't get a repeat of last year's incidents and reports of bullying from, well, Eleanor.

I tried eavesdropping on the office, and so did Martina.

"We'll just have to be as nice and quiet as mice, Martina."I told her in a hushed tone, "and ev'rything will be fine."
"Nope, we'll be as quiet as dead cockroaches and mice."she joked.
"Eww! Really?"I laughed.

We strained our ears so hard in the door.

"You, Eleanor, are hereby found not gifted to enter this school. Besides that, the Academy's highest council have found incident reports of bullying from last year, true." I heard the principal say.

Gosh, really? So she isn't gifted at all, I thought, if she isn't,then why does she still enroll here? Why, for so many years,is she able to be sent here?

"Meh, forget the bullying and all that. But, but see, my daughter is highly capable of doing many complicated things, like Chemistry that any gifted child could also do. She is gifted,madame, I tell you."Mr. Anderson-Eleanor's dad-protested.

I heard Eleanor then mutter something about Laws of Physical Science.

"Sir, I am so sorry,  really, but your daughter is not fit here even though it seems she is.
Now, sir, we have no other choice but to just have your daughter, Eleanor, expelled at Primrose and be sent to another school."the principal explained.

"Daddy, I want to go to school here, since you know I don't know of any other school to go to! You just know what to do if all these crazy honchos turn up on me! Right?"Eleanor piped up.

"Oh yeah, right!! Madam, listen,if you don't encourage enrolling my child,Eleanor, right here, I'm pretty sure you won't like what would happen! Or at least."He boomed.

Martina got scared and immediately told me that she'll just see me by Orientation, so she stopped eavesdropping and backed off.

I continued eavesdropping.

"Well, madam, let's play a game, shall we? If you say my daughter can enter this school, nothing is gonna happen,swear. But if you say she's not allowed, I will make a dangerous phone call. I tell you madam, you will regret your actions towards us!"He hissed.

What game? Are they children??

"I am most saddened to see your daughter being asked to be expelled, and I am only doing my job, sir. But, I am pretty sure that Eleanor could attend bigger schools with higher curricula than ours."Our principal explained calmly.

"Let me get this straight,madame beast of a bullfrog or whatever, are you saying I can't enroll for another year? And you want me to be to be expelled?"Eleanor asked haughtily.

Gee, did she name-call our principal?  I thought.

"Well, Eleanor, for one thing as your behavior is not tolerated at our school," our principal said frankly,"Yes."

"That's it!"Mr. Anderson cackled.

I coaxed myself not to panic with his words.

I quickly jogged a good meter or half away from the principal's office, as I might warrant detention on the first day of school for eavesdropping, and nobody wants that, not even me.

In what seemed like seconds, I heard a loudspeaker beep from a phone and a loud crash from the same room I eavesdropped in.

Oh no, no, Mr. Anderson really meant what he said that he'd make a phone call. A dangerous phone call. I thought.

Eleanor and Mr Anderson's conversation with our beloved principal echoed in my head.

I saw them coming out of the Principal's office, but they only grinned slyly at each other and went out the exit at Primrose.

I froze at the same place I am in.

I wondered what would happen,and that scared me and my wits out.

Now, I shifted my focus on hurrying to the school's Ampitheater as it is the venue for our yearly Orientation, and I am actually gonna be late in 10 minutes. Poor me.

Just then, I heard the school bell ring.
Once, twice, thrice, it won't stop.

Gee, my head's hurting badly because of that....

I almost made a mental note to buy medicines for myself later.

Suddenly the bell stopped for a while, then it continued five times.

Then it occurred to me, that's no ordinary bell for the Orientation.

It's the bell for hijacking and terrorist attacks...

Zellie, how.... how could you have been so dumb! Anyone could have figured it out so quickly!  I thought to myself.