Chapter 6:The Diary

It's been actually two weeks since Kyle's death and wake, and to be honest, I guess we're making real good progress on moving on with our lives.

Kyle would have wanted it that way.

Today is Saturday and I woke up groggily to the sound of my alarm blaring wildly in my ear.

I tell you, it wasn't a good way to start the day, really.

I methodically checked if Martina is there, but she isn't. Some moments later,I then saw a letter sticking out in my night table after checking her bed.

I read it and here is what is said:

Dear Zellie,

Brandon asked me to accompany him to a small Business Convention in New York. I am sorry if you're gonna be home alone. We should be back in the evening, if not tomorrow at twilight. I have left some bread and extra tea in the pantry for breakfast. Keep safe, Zellie.

Love, Martina.

P.s. Zellie, since you're home alone and got nothing to do, would you please clean our room thoroughly and as well the living room? I've been negligent in these days, sorry. Thanks in advance.

Okay... Home alone. That's great.

I went to the pantry and made up breakfast. In minutes, I wolfed down everything.

Then I set about to dress up in what I looked like a housekeeper.

I cleaned our room just like the letter instructed me and as I swept under Martina's bed, I saw a glinting sequin from a book-like thing.

I pulled the whole thing out and yes, it was a book-but a rather exceptionally dusty book-it was a diary.

I was astonished, for it was her old diary. Whew, I smelled mold and must as I balanced it childishly between my clumsy hands.

I looked inside it and there were several accounts on how Brandon abused and tortured us. There were also accounts on how we survived school in 1st grade, theater auditions, inter-school sports competitions, cheer-leading, and more.

There's nothing special about this,should return it now. I thought.

I looked skeptical as I peered into more pages, and it was all the same.

But in the last page, I saw heart shape and in it were engraved handwritten initials that looked familiar to me.

It was this: M.S.I.+ L.Y.

I was surprised, really. I even took time to recover from my surprise.

But I think it's Martina who should explain.

---

Martina 's P.O.V. After Kyle's wake.

I'm carrying a lot of stuff and all, but oh me, despite Zellie's reminders, I almost slipped near a drainpipe leading to where else? The sewer-gross!

In what seemed like seconds, I saw a boy holding me to prevent me from slipping.

He's cute, I should say, for he had these crinkly Asian eyes and sweet smiling face.

I heard Zellie say,"Looks like he found you."

Goodness, a guy found me? Or should I say, a stranger. I thought.