Chapter 8: Teardrops & Refuge

I can't believe Martina did that to me! Was it wrong to love somebody I thought that loves me for being me?

As I packed my things, it seemed like my whole world was crumbling and shattering apart―piece by piece. Martina despised me and wants me out of our house, Brandon wasn't there to defend me in any way or at any rate because he is with his peers at this moment, and I had no time or no way of ringing up either Tarah or Lee, since my phone is dead.

Why did I say that to her? I should have known she'd be like that. Why did she even have to be angry? I never said a bad word towards her for being in love with Lee,but she did to me! I thought as I gazed sadly on my trolley bag.

In between shoving my laptop and phone inside the bag, an idea slowly formed into my mind.

A letter to Brandon Edward Ibañes―that is the idea formed in my head―whose name have had stole my heart away and had caught my undivided attention.
But would my effort writing a letter to him be worthwhile? Would it be a little indecent especially for a naive shabby girl whose parents died so suddenly and had nowhere to go like me if I did it?

I thought about it quickly and I did write a letter.

I wrote it hurriedly in a boyish stationary that I had for a birthday gift from Tarah just a few years ago, but still my beautiful smooth handwriting is perfectly readable and legible.

So here is what I ended writing up with:

Dear Brandon,
I just want to thank you for being the loving and caring brother I never had, even if you were kind of abusive. We both know that's the truth, Brandon, but we also know that sometimes the truth hurts.

Brandon, this letter is far more important than just saying thanks, for I have something to 'fess up.
I know it hurt Martina so much, and I really don't know how would you react.
But, anyway, here goes...

I... I fell in love with you at a time when I felt so broke ―Kyle's death―that I didn't know what to do or who to cling on. Honestly, I never have wanted for this happen but... it had already become a feeling can't fight anymore. I tried to shove the feeling out of my mind, but it just keeps on coming back. I hope you do understand, but Martina didn't―she told me to leave.

I know I'll be out there somewhere by the time you have read this-where neither hatred nor intense drama is. Perhaps, I will never be creating a massive void in your lives, right? Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Fine as how you first saw coming through the door and Martina told you that you guys will be adopting me (you know it's been like ten years but it's not legal too.)

And I know Martina is happy with me gone.

Yours, Zellie.

To be honest, I cried as I wrote that letter. I can't even think how I summoned up all the courage within me to write a letter to him.

I finally folded the letter and jagged tears dripped hard on my cheeks again-I didn't actually felt tears; I felt glass shards for teardrops instead. I placed the letter inside a metallic blue envelope.

I wrote on it:

To:Brandon Edward Ibañez
From:Jewelle Kryzelle Santos

Finally, I sneaked away for the first time in ages in his room as we were restricted to go there. It is a large room, with a nice sky blue painting in the walls, an unfinished graffiti of a woman's head was there in far end, and (as I had pictured in my mind) posters of celebrity women framed nicely.