Chapter Two

"Sherlock, why's this suit on my bed?" John had just gotten home from the store and went to shower before he'd found a crisp, fitted three piece laying on his duvet.

Footsteps were heard, up the stairs it seemed and soon enough, John's door was opening. "It's for tonight. We have a date."

The blond jolted. "A date?!"

Sherlock rolled his eyes. "I've made reservations at The Landmark for us as well. We're going to follow them and see how this goes and we'll have to be undercover."

Sighing in relief, John clutched at the towel wrapped around his waist so that it wouldn't fall. "Oh. So we'll be going as a couple, then." He wasn't exactly opposed to the idea, but it'd be taunting him all night.

"Precisely." The taller man was already dressed for such an occasion, his buttons struggling as always to keep his shirt held together. The sight made John's heart pound in his chest.

"Right then. I suppose I should get ready then."

Sherlock nodded and headed toward the door. "Of course. Reservations are in an hour, my dear..." The door clicked shut and the man retreated back to whatever he'd been doing before.

Just like that, the pounding of the doctor's heart stopped, the endearment leaving him breathless. Of course, it was probably just Sherlock getting into character. Who could say? The man was practically the personification of an anomaly, so John never knew what the novelist was going to do. He was spontaneous, sometimes annoying, and John absolutely adored him and his multiple talents, his beautifully unique personality. And the rest of him that really didn't need mentioning right about now...

Now, he needed to prepare himself for his "date" with Sherlock.

~•~

The two men had been living together for four years now and the whole time, Sherlock had known that he was interested in the other man. Romantically, that is. Him being a person people went to for matchmaking (a consulting matchmaker, he called himself, along with a few other "consulting" titles), he was sure he could help himself out. But over all of this time-four years, 1,460 days-he still hadn't won the man's heart. Or so he thought.

Even if John hadn't showed any affection towards him in an outright way, Sherlock could still see the attraction when he neared him; John's pupils always affectionately dilated, even if they were in the middle of an argument and when he'd grabbed the blond's hand yesterday, his pulse was practically out of control. If he was wrong (and he usually wasn't), he'd be embarrassed about it later. But for now, he was going to seduce the doctor.

So, there they sit at a small table in The Landmark, up the elegant stairs and near the ledge so that they could see the other couple in about the center of the floor. Anthea had led both Mycroft and Lestrade in a bit earlier and they were getting along quite nicely. The experiment was going quite well so far, as they'd assumed that Sherlock was behind all of it anyway and decided to talk and enjoy themselves while they were there.

"What do you think we should call this experiment?" John asked after a while of hiding his face behind a menu.

"I'm not sure. I don't normally name my experiments."

John placed his menu back against the table and shrugged. "I just figured we'd give them a couple name so we don't have to refer to them as Mycroft and Greg all the time."

The novelist looked at him blankly. "I suppose that'd be useful."

"I was thinking we'd call them Mystrade. Y'know, just... combining their names a bit." John chuckled and Sherlock soon found himself doing so as well. "You have to admit, it does have a ring to it."