Chapter 16

Oops...sorry for the long wait. There's this thing called life and it's getting in the way. Enjoy!
( I cried writing this )
-----

"Oh.." A pause. "We can do long distance," the forward reassured her.

Tobin shook her head, pulling her hands away from Alex and then scooting an inch away. "I don't think that's a good idea, Lex."

Alex frowned. "Why not? What are you saying?"

"I don't think this is a good idea."

"We haven't even tried it yet and you're already saying no."

"No...I wasn't just talking about long distance, Alex." She sighed, not meeting her favorite pair of blue eyes. "I was talking about...this."

Just as Alex opened her mouth to ask what "this" was, her eyes widened a little, understanding. "I thought...I thought everything was fine, Tobin."

Tobin shook her head slightly, her eyes still not meeting Alex's. "It's too risky."

"Babe-"

"I can't be selfish," Tobin interrupted her abruptly, looking at the girl. "I'm not going to be selfish."

"Selfish?" Alex's brows furrowed in confusion. "You're never selfish, Tobin."

"I am when it comes to you." Tobin admitted, biting her lip. "You can't be selfish either."

The forward was at a loss for words. What the hell is going on?

"I'm not going to risk your career just because I'm with you," Tobin explained, forcing each word out.

"You're not," Alex sighed, coming to understand what this was about. "This is my decision, Tobin. I want to be with you and I want the world to know soon."

"At the risk of your own career?" Tobin reminded her, quirking an eyebrow.

Alex nodded. "Yes, at the risk of my own career. Come on, Tobin. I'm not the only gay athlete that's coming out."

"You're not Pinoe or Mana. You're Alex Morgan, the face of women's soccer."

"Abby's also the face of women's soccer," the younger girl countered.

Tobin shook her head. "Everyone assumes you're straight, Alex. You're America's soccer sweetheart. Abby's not. Hope's also a face of women's soccer - everyone assumes she's straight."

"Yeah, well she's bi," Alex frowned. "She doesn't count."

Tobin bit back her tongue to stop herself from telling Alex the truth about Hope's sudden marriage. "Alex, that's not the point. We're talking about you, here."

"Yes, and I want to come out so I can be with you openly."

Tobin shook her head. "This isn't a good idea."

"So you're running away to Paris?" Alex gave her a look before crossing her arms. "That's your big solution?"

"Alex, do you even like girls?" Tobin asked aloud.

Alex scoffed. "Is that even a question?!"

"Yes."

"Jesus Christ, Tobin. I'm dating you! I've had sex with you! I spend every waking moment I can with you!"

"That doesn't mean you're gay." She put her hand up to stop Alex from protesting. "Who's the first girl you liked then, Alex?"

"You."

"Did you find any other girl attractive besides me before we started dating?"

"This isn't a trick question is it?"