15 Ecyn

That was the weirdest birthday party I have ever attended. The guest of honor didn't want to be there and everything was organized (or disorganized) by Hanji. It was fun though, and the cake was great. I didn't understand the ferret. Maybe it was an inside joke or something. I found it kind of sad that he only got two presents out of all the people in the Scouting Legion. It makes me feel like I should have gotten him something. But I have no idea what I would have given him.

I've officially moved back into my room. Mikasa doesn't seem to care less where I sleep as long as I'm not contagious. I can't help thinking that she's a little like Captain Levi. She stays quiet and I can't recall seeing her smile except once. She seems slightly morbid, though I do like her more than the captain. She's nicer. She's just reserved. I actually get to have a whole conversation with her after the party.

"Did you have fun?"

She shrugs. "It's not really my thing, but I guess."

"If they threw a party for you, how would you react?"

"I'd probably enjoy it with all my friends there. Why?"

"I was just wondering."

"What about you?"

"The same. I wouldn't want all the attention, but Hanji is Hanji and the captain is probably the only one she wouldn't have forced to do everything."

"He's the only one who would have refused."

"Why didn't he refuse? He could have sulked in a corner or just left. Why did he stay?" Is there maybe something in him that wanted to stay?

"Didn't you see the looks he was shooting Commander Erwin? He probably ordered him to play along." She sits down on her bed.

My shoulders fall. "Oh." I remember someone saying that the Commander was going to order him to come.

"I'm going to sleep now."

Oh my gosh do they have electricity!!!

"Me too."

I'm saying they do... Just 'cause.

I reach to the wall and turn the light off. The room plunges into darkness with barely any light pouring through the thin curtains.

***

The captain wakes us up the next day. Mikasa is already awake when he opens the door. It's a good thing she wasn't getting dressed, but I don't think either of them would care. I would.

He tells us that we're supposed to report to the Commander's office in fifteen minutes. He doesn't say anything else, but I get the feeling it's important.

Once he leaves, Mikasa barges into the boys' room and closes the door behind her. I can hear Jean yelling at her in surprise. I get dressed quickly and knock a few seconds before entering their room. The boys are still getting dressed. I awkwardly look away. I study the wood of one of the beds, how the grains are so graceful and smooth, until I can tell out of the corner of my eye that everyone is done.

We all walk out together.

"I wonder what he'll tell us," Eren says.

"Probably something about the expedition." Armin answers.

It reminds me of when Briine told me of the mysterious expedition. The conversation led to painful topics. It hurts my heart to think about him.

"Ecyn, are you alright?" Jean asks me.

I look up and smooth my expression. "I'm fine. I was just remembering a... dream."

"Oh. Alright." He turns back away.