Chapter 5: West Niles Mall

The car pulled into West Niles parking lot, and Lisa drove up and down the sections to find a parking space. There are so many people here today, Annabel thought. She wondered if every weekend was this busy.

“What is your favorite store to shop at Annabel?” Addy asked looking at her as her mom parked the car into a spot almost all the way in the back.

“I’ve never bought anything from the mall,” Annabel replied feeling a little embarrassed.

Annabel saw Addy’s bottom jaw drop out the corner of her eye, and her eyes just about popped out of the sockets.

“What?”

“My parents always thought everything in the mall was overpriced, so my family just never bought anything from there.”

“Not even clothes that are on sale?” Addy gasped.

I shook my head no.

“Well, I’ll just have to show you some of my favorite places!” Addy said opening the door to the Van.

Lisa parked her car on the second story, so the girls enter through Razz. Annabel gazed at the people who passed her. So many people are here! she thought as her eyes wandered over her surroundings. Families with their kids, couples, best friends all carried bags in there hands laughing.

"Where should we go first?" Addy grabbed Annabel by the arm and began to drag her.

"I don't really know any stores here," she said trying to keep up with Addy. “What about your mom?”

"Let's go to Lavenders. They have really cute clothes that I'm sure you'd like! And she knows where we are, she’ll find us,"  Addy clung onto Annabels arm so they wouldn’t lose each other, and the girls pushed their way past the crowd of people and started making their way towards Lavenders.

10 long minutes of squeezing through the crowd, Addy and Annabel made it to the store. How ironic, Annabel thought with a laugh when she looked up at the blue light up Lavenders sign that hung above them. Addy tugged on Annabels arm.

“Come on! What size pants do you wear?” She asked looking Annabel up and down.

“One I think.”

“I wish I was as tiny as you,” she said, jealousy hinted her voice just a little, then quickly smiled to cover it up.

Addy was small, but Annabel was smaller. She couldn’t deny that. She had always been the smallest one out of everyone she met even though she ate so much at home. Her mom told her she had a fast metabolism.

“Do you like there Annabel?” Addy held up a pair of denim skinny jeans that were ruched at the ankles.

Annabel thought for a moment while looking at them. She did like them, but she wanted to know how much they were.

“They’re 50% Off! They are now,” she did a dramatic pause. “$6.58!” she said reading my mind.

“Let’s try them on,” Annabel said reaching for them.

“We have to grab more first,” Addy laughed.

Right, thought Annabel.

“Do you wear dresses Annabel?”

“Sometimes, I mean I don’t really do anything where I need to wear them.”

“Well how about this one?” She pulled out a tan dress with colorful flowers that was long in the back, and short in the front. The straps were knotted and thin. Annabel thought it was beautiful.