Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Raven's POV

I couldn't believe it! An F?!!! I knew I wasn't doing well in Crownunculus, but I didn't know I could fail it! I leaned over to look at Cedar's paper. A D.

"Better than me!" I whispered in her ear while sneakily showing her my own grade.

"We really need to get help!" Cedar whispered back,

"Well, study hall is hosted by Mrs. Stepmother." Cedar and I both grimaced.

"Definitely not." She said decidedly. Mrs. Stepmother pretty much just hated everyone, making study hall almost as bad as detention.

"So, what do we do?" I asked Cedar. "We can't go on getting such bad grades!" Cedar's wooden mouth cracked into a grin.

"You're sounding so much like Apple!" I poked her arm. She couldn't feel it her since she was made of wood, but I still did poked her anyways.

"Seriously. What are we going to do?!" Cedar tapped her chin with her forefinger a couple times.

"Let's see, we can't ask any teachers because they'll just direct us to study hall...uh...are there any students...OH!" Cedar's eyes lit up. "We could ask Dexter!!!"

"Dexter?" I guess it was worth a shot. Dexter was hexcellent at Crownunculus. Darling once told me it was his best class. "Okay."

"Great! We'll have to ask him in the hallway though because the bell is going to ring in a minute!" I scooped my pens and pencils into my fluffy black pencil bag, grabbed my silver binder and balanced my Crownunculus book on top of my it.

-------------

After lunch, I walked up to Dexter with Cedar at my side. He turned around, and clumsily slammed his locker shut, trapping part of his coat inside. We probably startled him.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to startle you Dexter!" He was frantically trying to tug his coat out of his locker.

"What's your locker combo? I'll unlock it for you." Cedar offered.

"Uh..." Dexter's face was as red as Little Riding Hood's hood. He's kind of as red as when I ran into him on Friday. I would assume he blushes a lot because whenever I talk to him he does it.

He handed Cedar a slip of paper. Quickly, Cedar unlocked Dexter's locker and freed him.

"Okay Dexter, now that you are...er...free, can I ask you something?" Dexter's eyes widened and then he looked down at his shoes sheepishly.

"S..sure."

"Well then, Cedar and I wanted to ask you if you would tutor us in Crownunculus. We're both failing, and Darling said it's your best subject so..." I looked up hopefully. Dexter adjusted his glasses.

"Uh...y...yeah o...okay."

"Does lunch period in the...er...library work?" Dexter said, fumbling for his books. Then we all snorted.

"Of course not!" Cedar said, smiling. "The step librarians....I'm guessing you overlooked them." Dexter nervously adjusted his crown. He looked uncomfortable. He probably never got this much attention from any girl, except maybe Darling. But she's his sister, so she probably doesn't count.

Since he looked so awkward, I decided we should probably end this conversation soon. Just as I was about to give a suggestion, Dexter spoke up.

"We...we could go to my dorm. It's fairy close to the...er...Crownunculus classroom." We did have Crownunculus right before lunch.

"Ok, sounds hexcellent!" I said, beaming. "See you then!"