Chapter 2 - I'll Fly Away

I got through the rest of the day pretty smoothly, that was until lunch. When my English class ended I got up and met up with Emma near my locker. 

11:45

"Hey yo! Someone's got their eye on you." Emma say and nodded behind me. I turn and sure enough there was Josh talking to some of the popular kids. They probably already got him set up for the football team or what not.

"Come on let's go to lunch." I guess it was only a matter of time for the 'Popular' group found their way to talk to him. He deffinitly seemed like he would fit in just fine with them. I think it will take to the end of the week until he stopped talking to me. Emma and I walked toward the cafeteria. She pretended not to notice Josh walking towards us. I continued not paying attention to him. We got our food and sat down in our regular table. After a couple of minutes Luke joined us sitting next to Emma. I munched on some fries and poked at my burger.

"Cher! I got an idea!" Emma said, "How about I give you a make over after school?" I scrunch up my nose and begin to protest, but Emma cuts me off, "Don't worry! It's not like anyone will see you or even recognize you once I'm done with you. Trust me I have some clothes in my locker and I know that you have an extra set of contacts in your car." I sigh in defeat. "Fine, but seriously I have to practice right after." I glare at her while she smiles back.

Luke gives Emma a fist bump. "Shit I have soccer practice. Take a pic and send it to my cell." Luke adds. I roll my eyes. That's when I spot him. Josh walked up to our table after waving back at some jocks.

"Hey! What's up?" Josh asks sitting beside me a little bit to close for my comfort, but I stay put.

"Not much just discussing after school plans." Emma responds brushing her blond hair with her fingertips.

"Oh yeah! You said something about practice?" His icy blue eyes piercing through my green ones.

"Nice try." I snort. I mean I already told him I wouldn't tell him. I don't know why he wanted to know anyways, "So are you going to go running back to your new friends?" I ask nodding towards the jocks he was previously talking to.

"Nah. I told them I was eating over here for today." He responds, which is a little bit of a suprise. He starts eating his food and chatting with Luke about after school sports. Emma turns her attention back to me. "After school meet me in the girl's bathroom." I nod knowing full well that this make over was fully unavoidable.

The rest of the day went by smoothly. I didn't see Josh in any of my other classes other than history, but he wasn't able to talk to me because all of the seats near me were filled.

3:00

I got out of my math class and quickly head towards the girl's bathroom, meeting up with Emma inside. "Hey hot stuff. Ready for a make over?" she ask a bit to enthusiastically.

I sigh "Let's get this over." I take off my glasses while she isn't looking. If Emma knew I didn't have a prescription she would burn my glasses.I place the glasses on the counter top and take out my hair tie. My hair drops down to my waist. Emma looks at me and pushes me to the stall, handing me black skinny jeans and a white top with black flats. I close the door and put them on.

"Hurry up!" Emma says, " I still got to do your make up!" I open the door and she rushes in making me sit on the toilet seat. I hold my hair back while she adds the make up. She finishes it off with strawberry lip gloss. I got up and look in the mirror. I can barely recognize myself. Mascara made my eyes stand out and the lipgloss made my lips look kissable. Emma took some pictures of me to send to Luke.

"Damn!" Emma smiles behind me, " I keep on telling you how hot you are, but you don't listen." I laugh at her remark.

"Don't do that in front of guys, they'll go head over heels for you." Emma winked at me, "Anyway have fun with your practice. See ya tomorrow!" she made air quotes and then left after collecting her stuff, my clothes and giving me a hug goodbye. 

I walked towards the auditorium after putting my glasses in my pocket, not really seeing anyone in the hallways. I walked quickly, not knowing what would happen if someone saw me like this. I felt naked and venerable. I finally reached the auditorium after what seemed like forever to get inside. No one would bother me and no one could kick me out until 5, because I had permission from the principal to use the room.

I smiled seeing the baby grand piano on the stage. I went up on the stage and gently stroked the keys. It sounded magical and I felt inner peace. I sat down and began with some vocal exercises before trying to sing.

I stroked the keys and played the beginning of 'One Day I'll Fly Away' from Moulin Rouge. I smile before I start singing,

"I follow the night,Can't stand the light. When will I begin, to live again? One day I'll fly away, Leave all this to yesterday. What more could your love do for me, when will love be through with me? Why live life from dream to dream, and dread the day when dreaming ends?"

"One day I'll fly away, leave all this to yesterday. Why live life from dream to dream, and dread the day when dreaming ends... One day I'll fly away... Fly... Fly... Away..."

I finished the song with soft keys and smiled.

Crash!!

I spun my head to see Josh standing there looking wide eyed in shock. SHIT! He can't be here. He heard my voice and he saw me like this, just my luck. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. That's when my fight or flight instincts kicked in.

I got up from the piano bench and ran towards the door. He gained his senses quickly and grabbed my hand before I reached the door. He tugged me towards him and looked at me. I stared in shock and felt cold sweat on my neck.

"Who are you?" He asked. I looked at him confused, and then it hit me. He didn't recognized who I was, but if I spoke now he would probably know. I stared at him frowning at this predicament.

"You're singing is amazing! I wish I could sing that good. I sing, but I haven't sung in public for a while." He stated and loosened his grip on my hand, caught in his rambling. I took this chance to wretch my hand from his grip, push him and run. I heard him stumble and then he started running after me. I ran towards the soccer field and spotted Luke sitting on the bleacher, Josh was on my heel.

I felt my adrenaline spike as my memory flashed back to that day when I was eight. My eyes started watering. I couldn't let him catch up to me. All I tried to fucos on was Luke and running. Breathing in and out. Luke looked up and saw me, wide eyed in surprise due to my appearance. I jumped on him wrapping my legs around his waist and arms around his neck. His arms automatically wrapped around me catching me. "Help me." I whisper in Luke's ear shivering a bit. I could hear Josh behind me catching his breath. 

"Hey Luke who's the hottie sitting on your lap?" One of Luke's teammate comments. I hide my face in his shoulder.

"Hey man." Josh says, "Is that your girlfriend?"

"No just a really good friend of mine." Luke says chuckling and starts getting up while carrying me while walking. Go away. Please go away! My memory vividly flashed in my mind as I tried to not think of it.

"Hey, what's your name?" Josh said trying to get a good look at me face, but I hid in Luke's shoulder.

"Hey Josh," Luke starts, "I'd hate to break it to you man, but she's not in a good mood right now. You should try next time." 

"Yeah, I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Bye." I could hear the dissappointment in his voice as he walked away.  Luke puts me down once we reach the parking lot.

"Tell me what happened tomorrow or later tonight. Sorry, I wish I cold hang around, but I have to go back to practice. I'll make sure the guys don't stalk you." He says looking worried. After a hug goodbye I get in my Camry and head home.