t e n

James managed to persuade my parents to let me stay at his overnight, on some conditions though. He's not allowed to sleep in the same room as me. I must not do anything 'inappropriate' but I know what my father means, and stuff like that.

After we have pizza, James brings me up to his bedroom, that's surprisingly tidy. I like that, because I'm a tidy person and can't stand messy rooms.

We watch some Netflix together on his bed. I lean into his chest and smell his cologne. I almost fall asleep just as the episode of whatever we're watching ends.

"Riley, do you want to sleep now?" He asks me, and I nod, walking into the spare room where I have to sleep. I feel lonely without James, so about thirty minutes later, I walk back into James' room, where he's half asleep. "James, I feel lonely without you," I whisper in the darkness.

"Same,"

I crawl under the covers with him.

"James, I - I love you," I say slowly. It's the first time I've ever said that to him.

"And I love you," James says back, calmly as ever. My heart starts racing as his says the three words, eight letters.

I snuggle into his chest and we fall asleep like that together.

***

"James! Riley was supposed to sleep in the spare room!" James' mother barks, waking us both up. I'm scared, but James says "sorry, Mum, she couldn't sleep and we did nothing else, okay,"

"Fine," his mother sighs and walks back to her own bedroom.

"Thanks James," I say "for standing up for me,"

"No problem,"

"Love you,"

"Love you too"

And I fall back asleep in his arms.