t w e n t y - o n e

My whole world comes crashing down.

The walls seem so much nearer than they did before, and they keep coming closer.

All of a sudden the birds that sounded harmonious turn flat and the sweet taste in my mouth becomes sour.

"But... what? How?" I ask, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"You know when I told you that we couldn't watch you at nationals because I might lose my job? That was a lie. She was getting treatment, it was supposed to make her better - you'd never have to know. They said she had a 99 per cent chance of the treatment working. She was in the 1 per cent that didn't work. The cancer is terminal now."

I look up.

The colours of the kitchen are blinding me.

My mother was so lovely, always full of life. And now I can see the dark circles under her eyes, the dullness of her skin.

"How long do you have left?" I ask.

"2 months"

***

I knock on James' door. His younger sister Piper opens it, and, seeing my smudged makeup and tearstained face, invited me inside immediately.

"Where's James?" I ask, my throat dry.

"He's getting some food at the shop? Do you want me to call him?"

I nod, unable to speak.

Less than three minutes later, he rushes in and drops the carrier bags on the floor.

"Ri, what's wrong?"

I just say "My mum has cancer" and a new river of tears flows down my face.

James carries me to the sofa, and sits down, laying me on his lap. I snuggle into his lap, his familiar scent comforting me in this moment of pain.

What seems like centuries later, I give a final sniff and sit up. I wrap my arms around his neck and cry into his chest.

"James," I croak, my voice hoarse "call Liv and tell her to come here please" I whisper.

He tries to gently dislodge me of his lap but I cling onto him. He lifts me up and carries me to his room where he lays me down on his bed and calls my best friend, telling her to come as soon as possible.

I curl myself into a tight ball.

Soon the doorbell rings and James gets up to answer it, leaving me alone. "James," I whisper "can you please tell her".

A couple of minutes later, Liv walks in looking heartbroken.

"I'm so sorry, Riley." I hold out my arms and James sits next to my huddled body. I lean into his shoulder.

"Well, if you ever need me, Riley, I'm always here for you," Liv says.

"Same for me, too." James replies soothingly, and I just hold tight to him, never wanting to let go.

Hey,
So did you guys like this double update, along with a sad scene. This changes everything...

How many of you are actually still reading it? I didn't update in ages before chapter 19, sorry, but hopefully I'll get back into it soon!

Comment thoughts below x

Ily xx