Chapter 9 - I Need Answers

I lie on my bed, deep in thought.  Something about the whole plan seems wrong.  We are going to save the world.  Great, it's number one on my list.  But how?  What's the point of being here?  That boy is still out, somewhere, burning down shops, and we aren't doing a thing.  Also, they haven't told me anything.  Who am I?  And the question that bothers me the most.  What am I?  We've been here for a full week, and I have learned nothing.  They are purposely not telling me anything.  

   Peter walks in, interrupting my thoughts.  "Do you want to watch Jennifer's Body with us?"  Peter asks.

   "No thanks."  I respond, staring at the ceiling.  Peter closes the door behind him and plops on the bed.

   "What's wrong?"  He asks, which I respond with a mutter.  "Tell me.  Don't think I can't tell something's wrong."  He says.

   "Do you guys not trust me?"  I blurt out, instantly regretting my words.  Peter looks surprised.

   "What?  What do you mean?  Why would we not trust you?"  He questions, confused about my question.

   I sigh.  Well, why not?  Let's just tell him what you're thinking.  "No one will tell me anything about this whole 'Elemental' thing.  Do I not get a right to know who or what I am?  Am I too weak to find out?"  I question.

   "No, no, no, no, Kaylee, you don't understand!"  Peter exclaims.

   "Of course I don't understand!  You won't tell me anything!"  I yell.

   "Kaylee, we can't tell you.  You couldn't understand.  You couldn't believe.  It would hurt you, not help you!"  Peter explains.

   "What, I don't get a say in this?  Well screw you!  I deserve a say in what I can or can't know!  You can't just leave me in the dark!"  I screech, fuming.

   "I can't tell you!  None of us can!"  Peter exclaims, starting to get angry.

   "Fine don't tell me!  I'll just leave and find out my life by myself!"  I scream, starting to pack my clothes.  Peter comes up and grabs my arm.  I freeze for a moment, than I push him away.  "Don't.  Touch.  Me."  I order, saying each word with venom.  Peter looks offended, but doesn't leave.

   "Kaylee, you've got to think about this.  You're angry right now, but if you think about it, you can-"  Peter starts.

   "I don't need to think about it!  I'm leaving and that's final!"  I yell, cutting him off.  I pack the rest of my stuff, including my bathroom essentials, a flashlight, my phone charger, and a few other miscellaneous items.  I feel the weight of the locket Peter bought me at the mall.  I saw it and thought it was beautiful.  It's all silver, and has a highly detailed rose on it.  Inside is a photo of Amy, Blake, Logan, Peter, and me.  When he gave it to me, I was so happy.  I clear my mind.  No more distractions.  I need to go, and I need to go now.  

   "Goodbye."  I say, and with that, I run down the stairs and out the house.  I don't know where I'm going.  I'll just stick with away from here.

   I hear shouts of protest, but I don't care.  I run away.  I don't look back.  

   I walk for I don't know how long, when I reach a mall.  I go in to the food court when I realize I haven't ate anything today and it is already one o' clock.  Luckily, Logan had credit cards that he had saved for each of us.  My name for it is Megan Parker.  How normal.  I wish I was Megan Parker, a normal girl with a normal life.  That would be nice.

   After I receive my strawberry smoothie, I sit at a table for two, being extremely lonely.  I am filled with sadness when I realize how much I miss Peter.  It was our tradition each day to go to the food court and order strawberry smoothies.  Now it's just me.