Chapter Two

The next morning, both Aelin and Rowan were invited to have breakfast with Dorian. By the time they were dressed, Aelin was already much too excited for this time of the morning, and Rowan found it harder and harder to hide the smile threatening to break his scowl. Seeing her happy made him happy as well, for what she felt, he felt too.

Aelin, on the other hand, was sceptical about Rowan joining the breakfast, knowing he would just spend the entire time glaring at Dorian, but she knew there was no point in arguing.

They went down the hallways that had become so familiar to Aelin during her days as King's Champion, and she didn't miss when they passed the exact same broom closet she had crept into with Chaol back then. She couldn't hide her blush, and Rowan noticed. He tensed visibly, and whispered low in her ear.

"A broom closet?" he growled.

Sometimes, Aelin really hated the fact that the Fae prince could read everything that was on her face. He knew every part of her, every beat of her heart as if they were his own.

"It was adventurous," Aelin grinned, knowing how much it would piss him off, and rounded the corner to find two guards in front of a set of doors. They opened the doors, and Aelin walked inside. Her eyes met the incredible blue irises of Dorian Havilliard, trusted friend and once a lover.

"Dorian!" she squealed, and ran to give him a hug. He chuckled, wrapping his arms around her.

"Good to see you too, Celaena."

Although Chaol and Dorian both knew she went by 'Aelin' now, they didn't stop calling her 'Celaena'. She didn't really mind. It was a gentle reminder that once upon a time, she actually lived and breathed as Celaena Sardothien. It made things real.

Aelin pulled back, looking into the handsome face of the Adarlanian king. He looked the same for the most part, though his features are much more defined now.

Rowan stalked over to them, pulling Aelin away. She stopped herself from rolling her eyes, and continued to drink in Dorian's appearance.

"You look well," she commented. "How has kingly duties been serving you?"

"Tiring, really. But I'm happy," he smiled. "You look well, too, Celaena."

Dorian turned to look at Rowan, and he kept the smile on his face, although Aelin noticed that it was a bit tighter and more awkward than the smiles he gave her.

"Prince Rowan Whitethorn," Dorian greeted him. "Pleasure to see you again."

Aelin inwardly cringed at the awkwardness of the situation, and started walking towards the armchairs.

"Dorian," Rowan acknowledged the king, following Aelin's lead and sitting beside her. Dorian sat across from them, and poured all three of them a cup of tea.

"How was your night?" Dorian asked Aelin. "I remember how you hated the glass addition, so I gave you a room in the stone castle."

"Thanks," Aelin grinned. "We had a good night."

Rowan coughed, Aelin realised her mistake, and choked on her tea. Rowan patted her back as she spluttered, and Dorian looked between them, eyes wide. Aelin turned her head and glared at her carranam, but he just smiled, shrugging.

"You were the one who said it," he said defensively, eyes twinkling. Aelin wanted to smack him.

"Ah yes, I heard from Chaol that you two requested a room together," Dorian said with raised eyebrows.

"Do you have a problem, King?" Rowan was back to his usual icy tone.

"Rowan,' Aelin said in her warning tone.