Prologue

Driving home, my sister keeps kicking the back of my seat. I turn around and ask, "Lucy, can you stop kicking my seat?!"

"Daaaaddy! Lilly's being mean to me!" Lucy loves to tattle on me, it got on my nerves.

Dad calmly says, "Kids, your mother is trying to take a nap. It's a long trip home, and I think you both just need to quit acting like children." His eyes never peel off the road.

"But Dad," I scoff, "she's kicking my seat! As if my back wasn't hurting enough, didn't you see-"

"Lilly, enough!" My dad looks at me and says, "You need to-"

My mom screams, "Honey, look out!"

A deer ran onto the road and my dad swerved around the deer. My heart was racing, but we're all okay. "Jesus, that was close. Now girls, go to sleep."

Lucy and my mom start to close their eyes, but I don't. I hate these car rides out of the city, but I needed to be at every competition. I want to be noticed by scouts to carry on the legacy my mom started, even though I'm only 15 turning 16.

Suddenly, bright lights are speeding towards us and ram the front of the car. All of our heads slam forward and I hit my head on the dash before I'm knocked out.
===========================

I wake up with two policemen around me, three ambulances, a fire truck, and a police car. "Lillian? Are you okay? The taller police man asks me.

"Ugh, my head!" I look around for my family. "Wait, where's my family?" I begin to panic and I'm forced to sit back down.

"Lillian, I need you to calm down and listen to me." This time the shorter one was talking. "There was a drunk driver who rammed your car. He died on impact."

"But what about my family?!" I'm shouting at them, looking around for some answers. I find them as I see blood splattered all over the wreckage, and Lucy's stuffed unicorn laying in the middle of the road. "Oh no, don't tell me-"

"I'm sorry, you were the only one to survive the accident."

I begin bawling my eyes out. Nothing could help me now, as I run to pick up Lucy's toy. I cradle it in my arms as I rock myself and sob into it. "I'm sorry," my words are barely audible. I know now that nothing would be the same.

I promise the rest of the story isn't this sad, so I hope you read on and enjoy! -Em ❤️