Chapter 30: Not Them, Too!

I am typing this during Spanish… Hahaha that's just how much I love you guys! :D Enjoy xx

*********************************************************************

My thighs still buzzing from the impact of the book slamming shut and my mind reeling with confusing, I tried to process the information I had just found out.

One, Xeneya and I finally knew how to beat Nequitiam Malum (or at least had a rough plan).

I also knew that school started in two days, although this information was slightly less significant than the first.

Yay. Not.

“Hey Xeneya, I really do need to do some things now, pack for school, stuff like that,” I said once I was fully snapped out of my daze.

“Yeah, I do as well.” She paused, than added, “can you believe that?”

“What part of it?”

“Everything!”

“I know,” I whispered, replaying everything in my mind like a video. “It’s simply unbelievable.”

“Well, that’s for sure. I should be off, so I guess I’ll see you in school?” Xeneya said, heading for the door.

“No, come over again tomorrow, in case some other disaster happens,” I suggested, swallowing past the lump in my throat.

“Okay, I’ll be here around noon. Bye!” my BFF called, and then she exited my room and left my house, for real this time.

I slipped the last papers into my homework folder and crammed it into my nearly overflowing school bag, wiping my hands against each other. I was finally done packing all my school things, and my bag definitely looked fit to burst.

My chair squeaked as I rolled to my desk and reached over the side for my laptop. I lifted the lid and turned it on, typing in my password and waiting for it to unlock. Once my desktop appeared I opened Safari and went onto my e-mails, checking for something new.

I had three new e-mails; two were advertisements from who-knows-what, and the last one was from Facebook.

‘Adriana Devonne (friends with Xeneya Dimonda and Zenia Caverly) has posted on her timeline.’

That’s my mom, and her post was written yesterday.

I opened Facebook and logged in, clicking my mom’s profile and scrolling to find the comment. When I finally found it my mouth fell open and tears welled in my eyes at what I saw, the realization sinking in like a hard slap.

Adriana Devonne, 7th April.

‘James Telger is such an immature brat, it’s simply pathetic. How can people like him?’

I’m shocked. Really, that’s all I can say. There’s two reasons for that, too: one, because my mom usually doesn’t even know how to turn on a computer, and two, because she loves James Telger! Or, well, lovedbut what happened?

I jumped up, throwing my chair backwards, and ran to my mom’s study even though I already knew the truth. I burst into her room to find her sitting on a yoga ball (which, by the way, I have never seen before), and she was listening to something through her headphones. From her violent head banging and the low beats droning from the earbuds I collected it was probably Rock or Heavy Metal music.

I approached her slowly as if she would bite me, but when I saw the Nequitiam Malum logo on her headphones I swallowed down a sob and rushed from the room. So it was true.

She was on the evil side.

I was just about to call Xeneya about my news when I heard faint shuffling from downstairs and changed my route to the staircase. When I got to the ground floor I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating. My dad, the guy who was usually up and running the whole time, was sleeping on the couch in front of the running TV. Horrible beige fluffy slippers hung on his feet, things he never wears. I crept up to him and took a look at unusual shoes, gasping and feeling the tears pricking my eyes again.

The logo. It was there. My dad’s gone too!

I dashed upstairs, my feet racing against my pounding heart, and a few salty pearls started dripping from my cheeks as I let out a single heartfelt sob. Then I clamped my lips together, afraid I would start screaming if I opened my mouth once more. When I was back in my room I picked up my phone with shaking hands and dialed Xeneya’s number.

“Hello?” came her cheerful greeting after the fifth ring. “Valentina?”

“Yeah, it’s me,” I croaked, and I could almost hear the worried frown in her voice.

“What’s wrong?” Her tone was cracking, the happiness draining away like water in a faucet.

“It’s my parents,” I choked, gnawing my lip violently so the tears would stop.

“What happened?”

“They’re gone as well.”

***********************************************************************

This was another short Chappie, but I think it had some drama! :D

Yuki xx