Chapter 1-Boy Meets Family

Chapter 1  Boy Meets Family

There were twenty seconds left on the clock. We were down by one. The people in the crowd were on the edge of their seats, watching. My teammate and best friend Shawn had the football in his hands. I could tell he was nervous, the whole season Shawn had never once managed to steal a ball from an opponent. But tonight, on the night of the championship, he had. I was so proud. I noticed him struggling to keep a distance away from the other football players. I had to help him. I squeezed between to players, and was open.

“Shawn!” I yelled.

He whipped around and his eyes met with mine. I nodded encouraging him to pass, and he did.

Once I caught the ball I ran as fast as I could to the goal post. As I was running I glanced up at the scoreboard, eleven seconds, ten, nine…

I noticed a player from the other school making their way towards me. I had to make it. I turned to face the post. Almost there. I sprinted at it like my life depended on this one goal. I heard the crowd yelling and screaming. I knew that behind me, everyone on the other team was trying to catch up, but they couldn’t. I was too quick, no one could stop me. Finally, right before the clock was going to turn zero, I made it to the goal post with the ball.

The crowd screamed and cheered. I saw my teammates celebrating, running my direction. I felt a smile make its way onto my face. I threw the ball to the ground in elation.

I did it.

All of a sudden I was lifted off of the ground, and I heard a chant.

“Co-ry! Co-ry! Co-ry!” They were saying.

“Co-ry! Co-ry! Co-ry!” The sweet sound of victory.

“Co-ry! Co-ry!” I could get used to hearing this.

“CORY! CORY!” oh how I love- wait a minute. That’s not cheering, that sounds like my idiotic step-brother Eric.

“CORY! WAKE UP YOU LAZY BUTT! I WANT BREAKFAST!” Oh yeah, that’s definitely Eric.

“ALRIGHT!” I yelled. “I’M AWAKE!”

I sprung from my bed, or should I say, mattress, and made my way downstairs to make breakfast. My step-father Alan, was there waiting for me.

“I want a cheese omlettte,” He told me.

“What about Eric and Jack?” I asked him about my two step-brothers.

“I don’t know, I’m not the servant.” Was his reply.

Servant. I hate when he calls me that. I’m not a servant! I just cook, clean, do the laundry, get the groceries, do whatever Eric, Jack and Alan want me to do-oh yeah, I guess I am a servant.

I roll my eyes at this statement and turn around to go upstairs. As I’m walking, I remember the day I first met this family.

“Fix your tie Cory, you want to make a good impression on our new family,” my mother told me as we were just about to leave our cab.

“Sorry mom,” my nine year old self replied, “I can’t really think right now, I’m just so happy that we are finally going to have a real family!”

“I know you are sweety, I’m excited too. Now come on, we have to go now.”

As my mother opens the door, I am jittering with so much elation, I can’t even move.