Chapter 3

Carter stared at me in disbelief.

"You not serious right? You can't be serious." Carter said, still staring at me unblinkingly.

"Yeah, I am, I know it can get us all killed, but we can't just stand here and do nothing." I said.

He shook his head and then said, "The virus turns the infected into mindless zombies basically. We can't fight these things off."

"We can try." I said with some hope.

Carter shook his head again. "Our best bet is to move south. Into a hot region where the zombies rot easier because of the heat."

Before I could object, Carter raced out of the door and said, "Pack your bags, we leave for the Texas early tomorrow!"

I sighed. There he goes again with his crazy plans, but maybe he was right this time, maybe the heat would be better for us and worse for the zombies that are supposedly rising, according to Carter.

I went in the closet by the door, and looked for some kind of bag to pack my stuff in. I found a backpack, a duffle bag, and some kind of knapsack. I took them all out and laid them out on the floor. I examined each one, considering how much each one could carry, and the different pockets/sections of each one. I decided to use the backpack, since it would be the easiest to carry/wear, and the most comfortable out of the three. And it also offered a good amount of storage space. Now all I needed to do pack some supplies. I made a quick list of the things I might need.

Extra clothes
Several bottles of water
Sunglasses
A pair of hiking boots
A toothbrush
Toothpaste
Pajamas

I couldn't think of anything else that I would need, so I zipped up the backpack, and brought it into my room, finished for now.

I thought maybe I would stay at home and rest, because I knew I needed it. Maybe even take a nap. So I stripped down to my underwear, (how I normally sleep) and got into bed.

With all of my thoughts swirling around in my mind, I couldn't fall asleep. Every time I would be close to dozing off I would get this horrible scene of a horde of crazy infected people closing in on me. But after what seemed like hours, I finally drifted off into a deep sleep.

And then the dreams came.