Chapter 7

A few people gasped, and the murmuring started up again.

"Everyone" Carter said, rather tensely. "Please, listen."

When it got quiet, he began again.

"I think that the cold would be good for us, but bad for the infected because the extreme cold might freeze the virus and kill it off. You know how some germs and bacteria can't stand freezing temperatures? Well, I'm thinking that maybe the virus is like that." Carter finished.

"But we don't know for sure." Someone said.

"Yeah. Some bacteria and the like actually live in the cold and attach to a host. When the host travels into warmer weather, the bacteria or whatever it is flourishes." Someone else said. I looked over to my right to see that it was Evelin.

I looked at Carter to see how he would react to all of this. He hated being wrong. I saw his face start to get red, and his eyes got really wide.

"Okay, fine!" He yelled. "Maybe Alaska isn't the best place! It's just that I don't know what to do!"

He started to cry. I had never seen him cry before, so I was very surprised.

"Where else will we go?! And where is the government? What are they doing to help stop the outbreak?! Nothing! Absolutely nothing!" Carter slumped back into his chair, breathing heavily.

A moment of long, awkward silence sliced through the room like a sharp blade. Eventually, Evelin spoke up.

"Carter. There's not ever going to be a perfect place where the virus can't get to us. All we can do is try to protect ourselves. And yeah, the government should be helping us, but they're not. Maybe soon they'll realize their responsibilities, and help find a cure, but for now, all we can do is again, protect ourselves." She said.

Carter slowly looked up at her. He took a deep breath and nodded.

Then I said, "We need you Carter. You have the most leadership skills out of all of us. And you know a lot of very useful information that could help us possibly combat the virus." I said reassuringly with a smile.

He returned with a faint smile, and nodded again.

"Okay." He said. "Then where does everyone think we should go? I want everyone to agree upon the same place."

Once again, there were whispers, and murmurs, and some people called out the names of different places. Carter say there silently, listening to what everyone had to say. Then, I thought of the most secluded parts of the United States. I had remembered that there was a section of Oregon that was considered the most secluded area of the U.S. .

"How about Oregon?" I said.

Everyone stopped their murmuring, and looked at me. I felt my face get red, and hot.

"You know, that's a very good idea Rowan." Carter said to me. "How does that sound to everyone else?" He asked.

Everyone agreed, and then Carter said,

"Well, then Oregon it is."