Chapter Six

The best thing about bartenders was that they never judged. Sometimes, a situation called for a stiff drink, and sometimes you needed that drink at the earliest convenience. That is why when Dean and Sam followed Buffy into a bar at 9:18 in the morning, the bartender simply nodded and finished wiping a glass with his checkerboard towel.

"Whiskey," Dean took the liberty of ordering as the bartender approached the table, indicating the number of glasses with three fingers.

"Just bring the bottle," Buffy interjected, eyes on the table, head propped on her hand.

The boys shared a look, but merely shrugged in agreement. Once the bartender left to retrieve the bottle, Buffy produced the amulet from her pocket, holding it up so that it fell towards the table and caught on the chain. The bronze was tarnished from age and neglect, but the fire opal in the center flashed in the light.

"I need the lowdown on this," she requested.

"It's the protection amulet of a Slayer named Amelia Walker. It was made by her Watcher who had it blessed to intensify her powers. For a while it made her almost invincible, but... then she came up against Lilith-"

"About this Lilith chick-is she coming for me, or does she just have a dress that this would go perfect with?" Buffy interrupted.

"She's coming to kill you, which will break another seal," Sam replied, "Icing on the cake for her is she can use the amulet to intensify her powers too, like, enough to reveal her true demon form, and break loose of her vessel."

"And, by vessel, he means the third grader that psychotic bitch has been wearing for the last few months," Dean added.

The conversation halted as the bartender placed a water spotted tumbler in front of each and left a bottle of generic whiskey in the middle. Distributing some whiskey evenly among them, Dean slid the first tumbler towards the Slayer.

"That oughta take the edge off, Sweetheart."

Doing as she was told, Buffy downed the shot in one knock back, unable to avoid pulling a face and making a gag noise. Dean bit his lip to keep from chucking, but she read it in his face.

"Make the next one a double... Prince Charming," Her voice rough from the burn, "I know that breaking seals unleashes the Apocalypse, but how exactly do they accomplish that?"

"Basically, break enough seals, and Lilith can free Lucifer from his eternal time out," Dean said, obliging her with another glass, if for nothing else, to see her make that face again. "If she gets her hands on that thing, it's gonna remove her human restrictor plate, and when that happens stopping her will require the kind of biblical intervention that makes you want to start collecting two of every animal."

"I'm a little hesitant to ask, because I think I already know... but, if the amulet was designed for for the Slayer, how does Lilith use it?"

"Simple really," Sam broke it to her straight, knowing that he was going to hear it from Dean for not sharing this information earlier, "That amulet boosts up Slayer power... but your power is harnessed from the demon aspects imbued in the very first Slayer."

"I was afraid you were going to say that..." Buffy sighed.

"Demon aspect. You're part demon?" Dean asked, trying to subdue any contempt building in his throat, and avoiding Sam's eyes, "And, you still use your powers... what happens when you flip shit and go dark side?"

"Oh, don't worry your pretty little face, Deano," Buffy made a pout and lightly tapped his cheek, "They don't work like that. My power may be freshly squeezed from demon concentrate, but that's only so I have any chance at a fair fight. It's all about taking that darkness and using it for the good."

Though he would not look at Sam, Dean could feel him boring a hole into the side of his head. There was already a fight brewing between them. Dean had a feeling it would include plenty of I told you so's.

"And, no offence or anything Sam, but I gotta admit, you're Rain Man level slayer knowledge is giving me the wig," She swirled the remaining whiskey in her glass, "How do you know so much about me, but I've never heard word one about you two?"

"Apparently, you don't watch the news," Dean smirked, "We're kind of a big deal."

"Well," Sam was embarrassed to admit this, eyes dropping to the table and scratching the back of his hand nervously, " I hit the books, but there isn't a ton available to the public on Slayer lore thanks to the Watcher's Council. I ... uh... resorted to the internet."

"Oh no," Buffy's face dropped, and grumbled, "I should have killed Andrew when I had the chance."

"Actually, your buddy's YouTube channel on the History of the Occult is pretty spot on. The Slayer episode was extremely informational," Sam acknowledged.

"We've got a couple of loser ghost hunters pals I'm sure he'd love to go to Comic Con with," Dean half-laughed.

"Alright," Buffy drug her hands down her face, "Quick recap. Lilith, a.k.a. psycho-bitch-mega demon, is on her way to Cleveland for me, and the amulet. And, we..." Buffy looked less than optimistic when she said that part, "...we have to stop her."

"That's the jist, Darlin'. The question is what do you plan to do about it?" Dean responded going for another glass.

"Well, call me an amateur here, but I'd say probably use this," Buffy was getting agitated by his condescending attitude, jiggling the amulet for emphasis.

"Sure..." Dean agreed, "And, when Lilith rips it off your mangled throat, then what?"

"Not that I exactly have a plan here, or anything... but letting Lilith eviscerate me really wasn't part of it," Buffy leered at him over the top of her glass rim.

"Buffy, I know that we didn't exactly go about this whole thing the best way, but we've been on the receiving end of Lilith's fury. I gotta be honest, she is the scariest god damn demon I've ever dealt with, and Dean and I have been doing this since we were kids."

"We'll I've been averting Apocalypses since I was fifteen. How many have you stopped, Sam?"

"Potentially, or like, for sure on the books?"

"Look, we ain't amateurs at this either," Dean sneered, "Sammy and I have been dealing with underbelly of the afterlife since you were planning Sadie Hawkins dances. So, if you're worried about us, don't worry- we're battle-tested."

"We'll see..." She finished her glass, ick face and all. "What about your Angel buddy?"

"What about yours?" Sam replied.

"Angel's a non issue," She promised, "Dealing with him will be my present to myself for stopping Lilith. But, how confident do you feel about some divine assistance on this one?"

"Hit or miss," Sam sighed, "I'd call it a plan for the worst, but hope for the best scenario."

"Well... that means we're going to need back up. And, if I am going to crash an uber-demon's Apocalypse party, I'm going to need some meddling kids."