Chapter Eight: Not Even Me

Once we got home from the store, I grabbed the clothes and went inside, then froze. I still had no idea where I was going to be staying.

I went over to Marcus to ask him if he knew.

"You can stay in my room," he said. "I can get my stuff and move into Em's room; we have an extra mattress which I can put on the floor." I opened my mouth to say something, but he held up his hand. "Don't worry about it," he said. Noticing the bags of clothes in my hands, he said, "Put those by the bed in the room. Feel free to clutter the room! It's yours for a while, 'kay?"

I nodded. "I would hug you but," I said, and held up the bags. "So be prepared for a hug when I get back from putting the clothes away."

He nodded. "Alright. Go ahead upstairs."

I thanked him and raced upstairs to put the clothes away.

I sat down on the floor and sorted through all of the shirts, pants, then jackets. I folded them all and slid under the bed. Even though Marcus said that I could mess up his room, I still wanted to respect him and show him at least a little thanks.

After all the clothes were put away, I went downstairs. I went into the backyard, where Marcus's dog, Max, was playing. I turned around when I saw Marcus and Taylor come through the door.

"I have to go," Taylor said. "Mom's probably worried sick. I texted her but she hasn't replied so I have to go check on her anyway."

I gave her a hug. "Come back when you can, 'kay?"

She nodded. "Of course!"

After she was gone, Marcus sat down beside me on the deck. "She's nice," he said.

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah."

"Wanna play with Max?" he asked.

I grinned. "Hell, yeah!"

Marcus grabbed a tennis ball, then called the big german shepherd to him. "Hey, you want the tennis ball?" Marcus teased. The big dog barked in reply. Marcus grinned and threw it. I watched as Max raced after it, then ran after him.

"Can I have the ball, Max?" I asked. Max obediently dropped the ball before me on the ground, and I picked it up, ignoring the dog spit. I threw it and he raced after it again.

He brought it back to Marcus, who threw it. We took turns throwing it before Max decided that he didn't want to play fetch anymore; he wanted to wrestle.

So, I got down on my hands and knees, and wrestled with him.

He jumped at me, but was careful not to bite me. Instead, he licked me, and I always pretended it took me down. That certainly amused Marcus, who was cracking up on the deck.

"Shut up!" I yelled while I pretended to attack Max. Max barked playfully before taking off. He ran three full laps around the yard without stopping, leaving me wondering how the heck he had that much energy. It was insane.

"How does that dog do that?" I asked.

Marcus shook his head. "I have no idea. He's a dog. A young one, I might add."

I took the water bottle Marcus offered me and drank half of it before I realized that Max was ready to play again.

I tossed the water bottle back at Marcus, who caught it with a grin and sat back down to watch the show.

* * *

Later that day, my phone buzzed. I flipped it open, hoping it was Taylor. But it wasn't.