ChapterTwelve; A Little More Than Friends

Chaz opened the door, and smiled. He pecked me on the cheek. "May I have the honors of giving you a piggy back ride to the park, my Claire?" he asked, trying to sound royal, but failing miserably. I laughed, while saying "Yes". I got up onto his back, and he held my legs up. We began the walk to the park, laughing and joking, as we usually do.

At the park, he leads me to an old, tall oak tree. There is a blanket out on the ground, set with paper plates, plastic utensils, and two bottles of Gatorade. I smiled at the cheesiness. Chaz put me down, and I sat on one side, and him on the other.

"Turkey and cheese, ham and cheese, or tuna?" He asked me, digging through the picnic basket. "Ham and cheese, please." I smiled. He pulled out a sandwhich wrapped in plastic wrap, and handed it to me. He pulled out two mini bags of Doritos, and handed me the Cool Ranch one. He knew me too well. He set a tuna sandwhich in front of him, and set macaroni salad off to the side.

He looked up at me, and smiled, biting his bottom lip. I blushed, and looked behind me. I turned back around to see Chaz gulping down his Gatorade. I burst out laughing. "So, me drinkin Gatorade is funny?" He smiled a cheesy smile. I nodded, and unwrapped my sandwhich.

At first I picked at it a little, but then I began to eat. "Hungry much?" I said, arching my eyebrows a him. He had a little tuna on his nose. I put my sandwhich down, and buried my head in my hands, laughing. "What is it?" He seemed freaked out. He threw his sandwhich down and jumped up. He ran off a little to the side, and starting shaking his hair like a dog. This made me laugh even harder.

When I calmed myself down, I grabbed a napkin and stood up. I wipe the tuna off his nose, and he grabs my hand as I'm pullin it away. "Claire. Can I ask you something?" He looked hopeful, but worried at the same time. I just nodded, his hand still around my wrist.

"I uh...You know you're my best friend, and I uh...told you I liked you last night, but I uh...Didn't get to ask you what I wanted to ask you." He lowered my hand, and slid his fingers down to intertwine with mine. Then he did the same with my other hand.

"Claire Reneè Mason. Will you be my girlfriend?" He said, in a very light, heavenly voice. He put his forehead against mine. "Yes." I grinned, looking up into his face. He closed the space between us, and his lips met mine. His lips were soft, and the kiss was tender and gentle. Our hands still hung, intertwined, at our sides.

For the good 20 seconds the kiss lasted, it was only us, in our own little world. If the tree we were standig next to us had caught on fire, I wouldn't have noticed. I pulled back, needing to breathe. We smiled at each other for a few more moments, until he surprised me by swinging me over his shoulder, and walking towards the playground. "Chaz! Put me down!" I yelled at him, lauhing, and pounding on his back. I heard him snicker, and he kept on walking.

When we reached the swings, he sat me down on one, and told me to close my eyes and cover them. I laughed, as I said "Why, Chazzalina?" "Because," and then, "Hide and seek. And you're it!" I thought he had run off, but I began to count anyways.

"1...2...3...4...5....6...7...8...9...10...

I counted to 30 then shouted "Ready or not, here I come!" I began to search the playground, searching it from one corner to the other. I still couldn't find him. I searched again. Under the slides. Not there. In the tube slide. Not there. Behind the trees. Not there.

"Chaz!?" I yelled, turning in circles, expecting him to pop out and scare me. But he didn't. That's when the thouht occured to me. I hadn't checked in the cement tunnel built to the far side of the playground.

I jogged to the tunnel entrance, expecting to have to go inside and search. "BOO!" I screamed. Chaz fell to the ground, laughing. He had scared the breath out of me. I leaned against the tunnel wall, trying to regain my breath. 5 minutes later, he was still laughing.

As he calmed down, I checked my phone. 5:30. I still had about 2 hours. I crouched down jext to Chaz, leaning real close to him. I leaned closer and closer, teasing him. He brought his head up, about to eliminate the inch of space between us.

"TAG!" I yelled, poking him in the arm. I jumped up, and bolted for the jungle gym. Chaz was scrambling to get up. My knees could barely support me, I was laughing so hard.

We played tag for an hour and a half or so. We began to walk home, hand-in-hand. Like most any other times, we talked, cracked jokes, and laughed.

But this time was a little different. We weren't just best friends. We were a little more than that.