Chapter six

•Sable's P.O.V.•

When church was over and we went home, I immediately broke out all the cameras and footage. Everyone left that kind of stuff with me because I owned the equipment. After putting on jeans and a ratty shirt and handing Lenore a change of clothes, I pulled out my phone and sent a group text to the boys that read 'if any of you are having symptoms such as coughing, headaches, spitting up blood, nosebleeds, dizziness, blackouts, seizures, etc., respond IMMEDIATELY. You all know what these symptoms are."

As I held up the camera, I restarted my video from the night. Lenore went to work on uploading the videos from the other cameras onto my laptop, labeling them all with our names, a number and whether it was a go pro or camcorder. While she did I watched the footage to the point where the screen began to glitch horribly. I paused it on the one moment the tall man became clear in the doorway, seeing the blank face that somehow...he seemed enraged.

My eyes were drawn to something on his suit. I saw the black color, his red tie and...something orange, sitting in his lapel. I had the sinking feeling I knew exactly what it was, and gave the camcorder to Lenore, watching as the techie loaded it up onto the screen. We watched to the point I had been at and I hit the spacebar, now able to see clearly the poppy that sat in his lapel, looking freshly picked when it should have been dead and withered so long ago.

I screen shotted the image, not wanting to let that go. Just then I felt my phone vibrate, and I looked to see that I had started a massive group chat on my phone. Everyone was dealing with the symptoms. Apparently Toby didn't remember getting home, while Tim and Brian were both having constant coughing fits. I told them about mine and Lenore's experience during church and the entire thing spiraled out of control from there.

My phone began ringing as Tim called me, and I picked up with a rough edge to my tone. I was worried, everyone was.

"Sable-" Tim cut himself off, hacking loudly. "What the hell have we gotten into? Everyone knows what happens when you get sick like this."

"I know, I know, Tim you need to go online, look up any and all ways to help with the sickness. Lenore literally coughed up blood this morning and my nose was gushing. We need at least some way to hold this off, for as long as possible."

"What the hell are you going to do?"

"I'm...I'm going to try to find him."

I heard Tim's shouts of distress as I ended the call, leaping past Lenore as she tried to get up and stop me. On the way out into the hall I snagged a camcorder and pretty much slammed through my back door. If something wasn't done, and quick, we'd be dead faster than we could scream.

•Tim's P.O.V.•

I swore as I threw my phone, listening to the thump when it hit the wall beside Brian's head. Besides Sable, he was my best friend, so we were sticking together while all of this happened. I began coughing as I swore, feeling even more angry then I had before.

"Why is she so god damn stupid!" I punched my wall, feeling it reverberate beneath my hand.

"Dude calm down, what happened?!" Brian put a hand on my shoulder, trying to get my attention. I made a sound similar to a growl.

"Sable's running off into the woods, trying to get back to where we saw that thing!" I said. "It's my fault he's mad at us!"

"How is it your fault?"

"I...I called Sable dust bunny. She saw him when she was eight and he took her dad the next day. The man was abusing her and her mom. She gave him a fucking flower and he gave her a nickname. It's because she wasn't afraid."

"Why would that provoke him though?"

"I'm not sure...but obviously it did." I sighed, walking to my desk and grabbing a bottle of pills. I popped the cap off and took one, reaching for a bottle of water that sat on the edge of my desk. "I'm sorry I had to bring you into this man."

"Yes because I totally didn't volunteer to be your friend even after I found out you were fucking nuts." Brian smirked before sending himself into a coughing fit. I smiled a little, because I did have a lot of issues. I mean, that's pretty much how I got into this mess, how I roped everyone else into it.

"Hey, y'know, I shouldn't be doing this, but do you want some of these pills? I've been taking them for years, so I know they help."

"What are they prescribed for?"

"Seizures. And they help with the coughing." I sighed. Brian was the only person that knew I'd been dealing with slender sickness for years. But after that night, it had just gotten so out of control.

"I'll take one, and if they help I might ask for more." He held out his hand as I tipped a pill into it. Brian snagged the bottle and took a drink, swallowing the pill and shaking out his brown curls. I hadn't noticed the red lines around his brown irises before now, so I turned to look in the mirror. Blond hair looked like I had bed head and my green eyes seemed dull, red veins pulsating around them.

"God we look like shit." I ran a hand through my hair, trying to fix it. "All the teachers are going to think we're high tomorrow."

"Oh crap that's right, we have school."

"You seriously forgot?"

"Yeah."

"Dipshit." I laughed, earning myself a soft punch to the arm as he shook his head. My laughing was cut off as I began coughing, feeling a small amount of blood trickling down from the corner of my lips. I wiped it off, taking a deep breath as I did.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." I said. "I'm fine. What should we do about Sable though?"

"I'm sure we'll get a call when she goes missing. Y'know, the usual 'have you seen this girl?' type bullshit."

"You know for a fact that isn't funny."

"I'm not being funny." His stare was serious. "We're too far away to get there anytime soon. I'm sure she'll be fine, but just like, be prepared for the worst, right?"

"Yeah." I paused, staring at my phone on the ground. "Right."