chapter fourteen.

Day Three

The clock read 7:29 AM. That was earlier than I'd expected to wake up.

Taking in accord that I did in fact sleep earlier than usual the night before, I stretched a little and sat up in bed.

I was so unorganized and stiff that morning, I could practically feel the knots in my hair growing.

On top of that, I had unbelievable cramps that wouldn't give up. I rubbed my stomach and
groaned at the impact.

My phone lay underneath my pillow, possibly waiting for me to turn it on.

I remember holding
the power button before it slowly died in my hand, making it impossible for me to see any calls or messages pop up before I had the chance to ignore it.

Grabbing it and feeling the familiar button almost taunt me with its hardened texture, I wasn't surprised to see thirty-six messages and missed calls in all decorating my screen.

Most of them were from Harry, two messages and a voicemail from Rory, three small texts
from my mother...and a voicemail from Calum.

It shouldn't have surprised me that I'd get something from him, but since we'd talked that afternoon, it was a bit of a shock.

Not to mention that in the years we dated, never once did he ever call me. Small texts graced
my phone time to time, but never a voicemail from him before.

I wanted to review the twelve voicemails and twenty-three messages from Harry, Rory, and my mother combined, but the one voicemail from Calum telepathically begged me to open it.

With a shaky finger, I scrolled down the list of numbers and found the voicemail that belonged to him.

I was too hesitant to listen to it, but going against the reluctant side of me and pressing the phone to my ear was probably one of the best decisions I'd ever made.

Hey.

I know I'm the last voice you want to hear. I've always been since we were together.

That's not important though, as we both know. What's important is why I've called you.

You probably have your phone off and won't receive this until you wake up in the morning.

You probably hesitated before hearing this. I'm sorry if I'm being scary accurate right now; I just happen to know you like the back of my hand.

I'm leaving tomorrow and although we've talked about this already, I just want to make some things clear to you before I go.

Number one. Breathe, Erin Ouellette. Ever since I've known you, never once have I seen you do that. It's kinda impressive, but dangerous.

Number two. Forget about our past.

It meant everything to fight with you and everything to hold you in my arms when you let me, but those are diminutive things that brought us to the molten lava we've become. If you forget it, we can start fresh again.

Number three. Rory. She hates me, but I hope that with this message, you can make her feel
otherwise.

Number four. Your...Harry. I'm sure he hates me too. Give him the finger for me {Chuckle}
Just joking.

And number five, which is, by the way, not as important as the other four: I just want you to
kn-END OF FINAL MESSAGE.

I gasped as the automated voice interrupted the message.