Chapter 4

Drayden's POV

As the chamber doors slammed shut, the Queen took her seat at the throne waiting for an explanation.

"I meant no disrespect Queen Lilah, this was all a misunderstanding" I started calmly.

"Nearly killing a boy in MY courtyard is not a misunderstanding, neither is it not disrespectful." She answer, her voice icy.

"He attacked us. My brother defended. I don't believe in dragging out a fight, so I opted to end it quickly. Avoiding any harm that may have happened." I stated simply.

"You killed an ice giant. That is against the laws of our land little prince." She replied, a small smile playing on her lips.

"None of which we are privy to." I argued, standing my ground. "You know what we are, and know that we must feed. I did not wish to feed on your people."

"That does not excuse your actions." She replied angrily.

"I understand, but some sympathy and more understanding would greatly help this discussion along." I said looking directly into her eyes. "I wish to only come to a common ground."

"You must pay for your actions in some way." She said deep in thought.

"I will take a punishment fit for the crime, but I will not pay more than I owe." I stated, hoping for some agreement.

"I think you owe a life" She responded wickedly.

"You would be wrong Queen" I sneered, "The giant attacked us."

"So he was trained to be political...At least they are doing something right in the land of his" She thought. "Fine, trial by combat. That is the only way for this to be resolved." She replied.

I opened my mouth to reply, but she swiftly cut me off. "A monster like you should revel in that." She threw in my face.

"Too disappointed to argue" I agreed, walking out of the throne room.

"High noon" She yelled after me.

I walked to my room, my blood boiled as her insult echoed through my mind. Monster? Does she not understand she is essentially a monster too? "How pompous" I growled. I had finally arrived at my room, breaking the door open. I walked in, kicking the couch to the other side of the room. I grabbed the custom arm chair, and threw it into the ridiculously large fire place.

"Kain!" I yelled frustrated at the whole situation.

I continued my destructive manner, finding some solace in the broken pieces of burning furniture in the fire place. Where is he? He always answers on my first call. That's how brothers work....Angrily, I walked out of the room slamming the broken door behind me. The door fell from its hinges, leaving the desolate room open for prying eyes. I wandered the halls, waiting to pick up on his thoughts.

After what felt like a long period of time, I finally stumbled upon him and the princess sitting under a tree in the courtyard. Strange. I slowed my pace, hoping to catch a bit of the conversation.

"Why are you so loyal to him?" She asked, pulling blades of grace from the ground.

"Join us brother" Kain called, noticing my presence. I walked over to him, anger still tainting my thoughts.