Chapter 6

It had been two days since the battle, and nothing eventful had really occurred since surprisingly enough. My mother insisted that I begin spending time with the princes. Micah and I sat outside in the stables, preparing to go for a ride. He smiled at me from around his horse as I diligently brushed my black mare, Melody, out. She neighed in content as I brushed down her long strong neck. I had learned how to ride on her, and she has been a more than trustworthy companion.

"Are you ready?" Micah asked excitedly. "It's been awhile since we have ridden together."

"Yeah, it has." I replied, a small smile playing on my lips as I tightened the straps on Melody's harness. It really had been a long time. I really loved riding with Micah. He was the best rider for two hundred miles, in every direction.

"Come on daydreamer" He joked, pulling me from my thoughts. He had already mounted Dynasty.

"Shut up" I mumbled, quickly pulling myself onto Melody. I had been easily lost in my thoughts since this week began.

"Race you to the top?" Micah asked, excitement filling his voice at the challenge.

"That's childish.." I said quikly pulling Melody towards the door. As soon as the stable hands had pulled the doors open, Melody took off.

It was always tradition for us to race to the top of the mountain, to the glowing forest. It was the most magical part of our land. The huge snow covered clearing was imbued with massive amounts of magical energy. It is where people often go to praise their gods, and practice their magic. Dana spent ninety percent of her free time there.

I had gotten the head start, but Micah was quickly catching up to me. I glanced back, quickly regretting it. He had somehow managed to make a snow ball while riding Dynasty, and the moment he realized I looked at him he threw it. It smashed into my face, leaving me gasping from the shock.

"Probably shouldn't have looked back!" He laughed, taking the lead.

Frustrated, I pushed Melody to go faster. He can't win again, he will hold it over my head until we race again. Melody neighed in exhaustion from the race. It had been a couple weeks is since we had last ridden, and it had obviously had an effect on her. We weren't even halfway yet. I noticed that Dynasty began to slow in front of us, and I pulled Melody to a stop. I jumped down softly, the snow crunching slightly under my boots.

"Micah! Let's give them a break!" I called after him. He instantly slowed and turned around. He had a huge grin on his face as he ran a hand through his wind-blown hair.

"What? Can't handle the challenge?" He laughed jumping down.

"Don't be so arrogant, it doesn't suit you." I said, punching him lightly. He fell into a fit of laughter, and I noticed something off.

"Quiet" I hissed at him, bending slowly to the ground.

"What is it?" He asked, loud as can be.

"You haven't noticed?" I asked annoyed, looking around the woods.

"It's quiet....It's really quiet." Micah whispered, following suit.

"It's too quiet Micah. There's something here." I said slowly standing back up, pulling my sword out.

"A bear you think?" Micah asked, drawing his sword as well.

"No, you can still hear the bugs when bears are around." I said trying to find some indication as to what was here.

"We should leave Kaliah." He said grabbing my arm and pulling me back towards the horses.