Chapter 23: We're Nuts

Hours passed and there was no sign of Clarke, Bellamy or even Dax. Adalia knew they had only left for the day but she couldn't stop worrying. She had no idea Dax was actually suppose to come along with them, she remembered Bellamy only mentioning Clarke. She tried her best to shrug it all off, trying to focus on something else. She was very well aware that the two of them were capable of handling someone like Dax if he ever tried anything. But still, she couldn't get rid of the weird feeling in the pit of her stomach, something was off.

She sat near the campfire, resting against a log, trying to relax and tell herself that everything was fine. Why would she care anyway? Bellamy used to be a guard back on The Ark, he knew how to defend himself. And Clarke, well she didn't really know much about fighting but she could very well take care of herself. She let out a loud sigh, closing her eyes briefly, trying to empty her mind. Or maybe she was paranoid...

She jerked her head side to side, feeling as if someone was watching her but she was just met by the delinquents minding their business, helping with the food, fixing the wall. While others walked around, stumbling over, falling face first in the mud. She frowned at their unusual behaviour. If something wasn't off about Dax suspiciously following people around with a knife, well something was definitely off in the camp.

She immediately got up, almost losing her balance. She squinted her eyes, her vision was slowly going blurry but that didn't stop her from limping all the way towards a nearby tent. She extended her arms, feeling the tent with her fingers before trying to open it. She poked her head inside, coming face to face with two frantic teenage boys. Monty was crouched on the ground, with a wide grin, just staring ahead. As for Jasper, he was pacing around the tent.

''Earth is scary.'' Jasper said, getting in Adalia's face.

''It's amazing...'' Monty mumbled, picking up a nut and staring at it intensely, ''Fresh air, trees, nuts.'' he popped it in his mouth, almost moaning, ''These taste better than usual, right?''

''Are you guys okay?'' the girl asked, trying her best to stand up straight.

''Oh, I'd like to give Earth a giant hug.'' Monty continued, letting himself fall back on his bed, eyes glued upwards.

''You're acting weird.'' Jasper mumbled, getting really close to his friend.

''I feel weird, but in a good way.'' he winked, placing another nut in his mouth.

Everyone stayed silent for a few minutes. Monty's eyes were glued upwards, he was smiling to himself, popping nuts in his mouth one after the other. Adalia just stood at the entrance of the tent, one eye open as she looked at the two boys. As for Jasper, he was just standing there, crouched over his best friend, pursing his lips and squinting his eyes before slowly putting another nut in his mouth.

"I'm gonna pee." he stated as a matter-of-factly, pushing passed Adalia and walking outside.

Adalia remained silent, trying to register what was going on.

''Is it just me or does goggle boy look tense?'' she looked over to Monty.

''What if one day you suddenly turned into an almond and you couldn't scream or do anything about it because you were just a fucking almond...'' the boy wondered out loud.

Adalia opened her mouth but nothing came out, she just stared at him in disbelief. She arched an eyebrow, shaking her head before turning back around and walking out the tent, letting the flaps fall behind her. As soon as she walked out, she was greeted by a screaming Jasper. He fell backwards, taking the girl with him. He kept on screaming, his breathing quickening.

''You know, I think you'd be so much better at this life thing if you weren't such a fucking idiot...'' she grunted, pushing him off her.

''They're here...'' Jasper murmured, trying to get back up, ''I saw them, Dalia...'' he continued, looking around frantically, ''They're here...''