Nanaki Kazuaki Short Story

More spoilers in the game XD sorry but there aren't really stories without spoilers.

Having blood drawn, having feathers extracted- today was a truly exhausting day. I didn't think for a second that the staff physical would be this tiring. When I think about how this day will come around every year from now on, I feel overwhelmed, and... without realising, I start to doze... off...

'Wake up, please. You're next.'

I wake with a start, and look up into the eyes of a displeased-looking Chukar partridge sticking its head out from the infirmary. That's right- last is a medical interview.

'Oh, I'm sorry. Today was so warm and pleasant, I couldn't help it.'

'It's fine. Just hurry up and come inside.'

-

'So...'

The partridge speaks whilst studying a chart.

'It seems that you have some sort of sleep disorder. Quite a serious one, at that.'

'Oh... Is that so?'

'You weren't aware of it?'

The partridge looks doubtful.

'Our brains were made to develop at an unnaturally high speed within a short space of time. It's likely that this has had some negative effects. Because of abnormalities in the brain, there are many birds who have difficulties with conditions such as narcolepsy. You seem to be one of them.'

'Um... these abnormalities in the brain, they aren't fatal, are they?'

'In your case, I don't believe it will immediately become a problem. ... Well, I can think of cases where birds have suddenly fallen asleep at train stations and taken a plunge onto the tracks, but that aside.'

'I see, I see. I'll take care.'

It seems like there's still time. As long as there's still time, it's fine. I mean, you'll always be working here from now on, right? I know you will.

'Cases such as yours are sometimes accompanied by periods of semi-consciousness. Do you have any trouble with that?'

'Semi... consciousness?'

'A state in which parts of your brain become aware during sleep. There are also birds who call it sleep paralysis. It is often accompanied by auditory and visual hallucinations, so such patients often suffer from stress.'

Could you be talking about Nageki? No, that can't be. Nageki definitely came to see me. He came to see me every night, and promised that from now on we'd always be together. That until the day I rot, we'd never be apart.

You can't trick me. You can't trick me this time. I'll make you give back the Nageki you have hidden away.

'That isn't a problem for me. I'm not worried about anything, so I'm not stressed.'

'Is that so? ... Incidentally, did something good happen to you today? You've been smiling like that for a while now.'

'Ahaha... No, I'm always like this. Please, don't pay it any mind.'

'If it's simply out of courtesy, then please don't bother. It doesn't mean anything to me.'

The partridge continues to write down the results of the examination, looking disinterested.

Actually, Doctor, I'm really happy right now. You're here, Nageki's here- this school is such a wonderful place. So much so that it's a waste to go home.

'Finally, I'd like to ask whether you have any questions, or anything you wish to discuss with me?'

'Hmm... let's see. No, I don't think there's anything in particular.'

Actually, Doctor, I have a lot of things I'd like to ask you. But I won't, for now. I might not look it, but I know when the situation's appropriate.

So someday, make sure you properly answer me, okay?