Okosan Short Story

OKAY LAST ONE~! And I don't think this contains spilers .-. again, I THINK

His fluttering white tail has been shaking busily back and forth for some time. Just how long has he been like that now, come to think?

'Okosan, what are you doing? Are you looking for something?'

'Coo! (That's right! Okosan is looking for something!)'

The track club captain Oko San, or Okosan, answers me with his head still stuck in the cabinet.

'What is it you're looking for?'

'Coo! (Beans! Okosan is looking for beans!)'

Beans? Maybe he's talking about the beans doves usually eat.

'If you're looking for beans, they're in their usual place over there.'

'Coo! (Not those beans! Those are common beans!)'

Common beans! The beans he's looking for must be no trifling matter. I didn't think the club used any beans other than the nutrition-rich ones for racing pigeons, though...

'There are beans here other than the energy ones?'

'Coo! Coo! (Okosan thinks that there were! But he cannot find them...!)'

Okosan finally pulls his head out of the shelves and turns to face me. His white feathers have turned a dirty grey here and there because of the dust.

'Ah, Okosan! Something terrible's happened to your beautiful feathers. I'll brush away the dust, so come here.'

'Coo!'

-

'Okosan, what kind of beans are you looking for? Is it another special mix from Dr. Iwamine?'

I finally get around to asking him whilst brushing all the dust off.

'Coo! (Wrong! What Okosan is looking for is preserved food!)'

'Preserved food...?'

From my point of view as a human, beans for pigeons keep for a long time to begin with, as long as they're stored properly. Is he talking about beans that keep for even longer?

'Coo coo! (Canned beans that will always stay fresh!)'

'This is the first I've heard of them! Somehow, when I think of canned beans, I think of them being boiled or something.'

'Coo! (They are not boiled! They are a racing blend! Okosan must have left them somewhere else!)'

If they're just regular beans, isn't it okay not to put them in cans...?

'So, what do you need preserved food for? Are you going to put them in a disaster prevention kit?'

'Coo coo! (Okosan is going on a long journey during summer vacation! He will go on a grand adventure, become an adult, and return!)'

'Wow, going on a journey over summer break somehow has a cool ring to it! I've also got to build up my strength so I don't fall prey to the heat!'

'Coo! (This is simply a rehearsal! Okosan has got to become stronger still! When summer vacation is over, it's a showdown!)'

Okosan seems even more imperious than usual. Looks like I'll have to gather up my drive for self-improvement and pile on the training too. ... Still, I wonder what he's rehearsing for, going on a long journey like this? Maybe he wants to make a round-the-world trip in the future?