Canary's Training

A intercom system blared into life warning in a feminine voice, "Today's sparring training starts in five minutes! Don't be late." I got up out of bed. I hadn't slept all night. That's particularly Kid Flash's fault cause we were up til one in the morning with "Just one more race" pleads, the other half was that I couldn't stop thinking about what will happen when they all find out. They welcomed me so quickly and they are pretty good at distracting me from, grr... I shake my head as if to try and knock the thought from my head. "No. I'm fine. I'm fine. I WILL NOT CRY!" I convince myself, mentally screaming so that I don't tear up. I don't want to look like an idiot at training today.

I realize that my hoodie is probably not good for sparring practice so I unzipped it to find a gray sports-style tank top with green detailing down the sides. I tried to pull the jacket off, but it wouldn't come off. "Fuck!" I cursed mentally, "They are gonna find out! Shit! Shit! Shit!" I zipped up my hoodie quickly and phased through the door. I ran halfway downstairs and jumped into flight before I realised, "I have no idea where I'm going and I'm already late." I flew around phasing through walls on the first floor until I heard the feminine voice from before shout, "Since you're late, you're up first Spectre!" I hovered for a second and then eased down on to the sparring mat. "This is the sparring mat," she introduced, "it will track your wins and losses against other heroes. There are some rules however, there will be no broken bones, concussions, pressure point-ing, Robin, and above all else no superpowers. Got that?" I nodded taking up a stance similar to that I've seen Robin use just now realizing that I've scarcely ever fought without using my powers, I mean sure I've only ever had a human's strength punch, but I've charged it with ecto-blasts or flown into it. As I pondered this she took her chance to make the first move. She swung her leg high and I managed to duck it and then punch her in the shoulder. She must have expected me to do that because, while my blow hit, she grabbed my outstretched arm and flipped me over her shoulder and hard onto the mat. The computer system uncaringly remarked, "Failure: Spectre" She reached out to help me up and said, "You are so confident in your attacks that you don't block." "No," I argued walking up to a training dummy, "I'm used to hitting like this." I charged up an ecto-blast and punched the dummy sending it smoking through the air and slamming violently into the wall. She looked shocked that I'd do that so I sheepishly said, "It's just, I've never fought without my powers. I've never even fought when it wasn't knock him out or be killed. I didn't really have any training..." "Alright, Let's try something else then." She said slyly. She walked us into a high-tech seeming room with plain white walls. "I heard that you have a super sonic scream like mine. Since you don't like fighting without powers let's see you just use your voice." She mocked. Everyone else decided this was this their chance to leave and not be subject to the deafening noise. Canary motioned for me to go first and I let lose my ghostly wail once more waiting for her to run for cover or to clasp her ears as they bled, but she stood as still as a stone wall. I stopped abruptly and cocked my head at her. She grinned, "Nice try kiddo. Now. It's my turn." She screamed at such a high pitch that it didn't sound like a scream at all. Not that I was paying much attention as I had let out a scream of my own. We could see the wind from our clashing wails hitting the wall. She had a slight advantage, but I knew I needed to win this to win her respect. I thought about Dan and the nasty burger paradox and hit a more soulless note which pushed it back to the mid-line. For the first time I truly understood what made my wail powerful. It's my sorrow. The most powerful it's ever been was when they were going to die. No. It was after they all did. I thought about the looks on their faces, the charred corpses of Sam and Tucker and just how far I'm gonna stick Skulker's gun up his ass the next time I see him. I didn't realize how far I had advanced until Canary hit the wall, mostly because I was trying to wipe away the tears that were streaming down my face. I composed myself and then went to help her up. She chuckled, "Congrats kid. Nobody's ever beat me at that before, but you still need to work on sparring. I don't know if you've ever heard of an 'inhibitor collar', but it is too easy for a villain to block your powers." So that's why she was making me fight without powers. "Thanks" I gratefully said.

I walked out to face a incredibly surprised team. "Nice one Spectre!" Kid Flash congratulated. Robin was visibly shocked, which is usually hard to tell from behind those dark shades of his, but obvious this time because his mouth was uncharacteristically hanging wide open. Aqualad looked respectful, but he always does. Artemis scoffed indignantly, but M'egan looked embarrassed. I heard something about her liking to bake so I asked, "Hey M'egan! Wanna help me bake some cookies?" She snapped out of her train of thought and muttered, "huh?.... Sure!"

As soon as we were in the kitchen I closed the door and grabbed the flour and sugar from the pantry where I saw it last night. "Would you grab the mixer and mixing bowl?" I asked, not knowing where they are kept. "Um... okay." She said nervously. I put the ingredients on the cleared counter and grabbed her by the shoulders. "What is it?" I demanded, "You've been acting weird ever since I fought Canary. Should I have let her win?" "Danny," she whimpered, "I am so sorry! You looked so serious and I couldn't help myself... I peaked. I know that it was wrong of me and I wish I hadn't. I'm sorry for your loss." I let her go and took a step back. She knows!!! "How much did you see?" I ask, feeling mentally violated. "Your parents, your friends, you shoving a weird looking gun so far up the ass of an even weirder looking villain so far that it came out his mouth. I must say, as gruesome as that is, he definitely deserves it." She admitted. Okay. Okay. Okay. I'm safe, but I should "come clean" to the others with what she's discovered. "It's okay," I console, "I was planning on telling you all eventually, but please don't do it again. It's kinda invasive." I explain to the alien girl. She gives me a huge hug and I smile for the first time in a while. "Let's get these cookies made!" She says back in her usual cheer.