To Find Your Ending

Summer came. The wind was warm against Rose's skin. Her hair had become wild, much like Tilly's had. Tiny Tilly followed her everywhere. She and Tilly lived together in the little wild hut on the very edge of the village. The two of them shared a silent understanding of those things that occurred during the year Rose had been gone.

The village had wanted to know what happened, but none of them really cared. Her family wanted nothing to do with her.

After all, Rose had been to the Elven Kings' Palace, and had returned. She was no longer simply Rose. She was Rose who had been, and come again. Rose who was no longer tame, and happily growing up the terrace in the front yard, she was the Rose that grew wild, thorny and wherever she pleased.

Rose opened the door to the hut. Inside Tilly sat holding her teacup in her hand. She was drinking something peach colored with a soft scent.

She motioned to the teacup on the table, "Come have some tea with me." she said gently, "It's going to rain soon. You might as well be comfortable."

Rose nodded. She sat in the overstuffed chair beside the table. She glanced across the way at the book that sat at the writing desk. The pages were becoming curly from the dampness that summer had brought to them.

"Are you going to finish it? Or is it just going to sit there, half finished?" Tilly asked, "It's one hell of a story. I think that you deserve to complete it."

Rose sipped her tea. Tilly has slipped something in it, as she always did. There was that familiar bubbly taste to it that made her relax.

"I haven't been able to get past the part I'm on... Writers block, you know?" she said softly.

"You don't want to write about him, I know." Tilly said easily, "Don't bother glaring at me, you know I'm right." she said without looking at Rose, who indeed, was glaring evenly at her.

She looked over at her friend, arching a slender brow, "He loves you, Tilly. Don't worry about what you have to write. Once you get past hurting.."

"Shut up." Rose said bitterly, "You don't know anything about it."

Tilly said nothing for a moment, before speaking again, "No need to snap at me over it dear. It's your story. I'm just saying that you have to start healing, or you'll become bitter like so many women in this village." she looked back out the window.

Rose said nothing, and looked down at her teacup. 'She's right,' she thought, 'Eventually, I will have to write about him in the story. There's no getting around it.' The tea leaves had settled to the bottom of the white china.

Rain began to fall a few minutes later. The windows were all open. The windows in Tilly's hut always stayed open. Rose wondered once if it had been because she had been in the Elven Palace before. She wondered if the young woman had become accustomed to windows and doors being open during all weather.

Thunder rumbled overhead.

The Elven King does not care for mortal children.

Rose shuddered for a moment. Tilly looked over at her. "Are you chilled, Rose? I can get you a quilt." she offered gently.

Rose shook her head, "No.. no.. just remembering something."

The sound of a wagon through the front town gates made Tilly pause a moment as she stood from her own chair. Her balanced her teacup in her hand with well practiced ease. "Sounds like there are travelers in the village again." Her denims made a soft sound as she walked to the window.

Rose nodded, "I guess." she put the teacup down on the table, and brushed her blouse off. The Jewel rested at her breast. Touching it gently, she felt her heart ache. It wasn’t the first time.