Chapter 3

Steve did as he was asked. Got everyone is SHIELD to write down the word wife. Man and woman. He observed every single one but none of them matched. "JARVIS inform Fury that-"

"Inform Fury what?" The man himself walked into the room Steve was currently at.

"That there are no matches." The Directors face scrunched up in a confused manner.

"You don't think she was working for-" Fury started but Steve stopped him.

"Please sir. Don't let the thought cross my mind. Plus, Natasha was a loyal spy. She would never work for the enemy."

"Just like you said Rogers. Spy. She was a spy and lied for a living. Her loyalty could've been to HYDRA." Steve started to get angry and stood up.

"Nick I said don't!" He removed himself from the environment and ran into Pepper.

"Hey Steve. You okay?" She put a hand on his cheek and made him look at her.

"Yes. Just fine Miss Potts. Are you okay?"

"Couldn't be better besides the Natasha thing. So how are you holding up with the whole thing?" She knew they were close and even pushed them to have an intimate relationship but that never happened. Well, she didn't know it happened.

"Not good. It's not easy to loose a close friend and an Avenger. And you?"

"As you said. It's not easy loosing a close friend. Come on, I'll walk back to your room with you." He smiles and they start there walk. "No ones seen much of you since it happened. Are you sure everything is fine? I mean, I heard you arguing and you look like your sweating like mad."

"I'm fine honestly. Thank you. How's everything been while I've been awol to the world."

"The normal. Loki tried to attack again but teamed up with what was left of Ultron. Thanos is planning something."

"Thanos? That's a new name."

"I will explain everything another time. Maybe when we all have a movie night and they all have fallen asleep." She smiles at the memories from when Natasha was here.

"Yeah, maybe." They reached their destination and Steve put his hand out for Pepper to shake. She smacked it away a gave the soldier a hug.

"Just cause you didn't want a hug doesn't mean I didn't want one." He smiles and they let go of each other.

"Nice talking to you Pepper." He opens his door.

"You too." She walks off feeling proud of herself. "Alright Tony I did my part now you do yours." She spoke into the comm that was lodged into her ear.

"Thanks Pepp. I owe you."

"You don't say."

"Now it's time for phase two. Maria should be walking around the corner about...now." The two girls exchange smiles and carry on with what they were told to do by Tony.