Chapter 15

Gilapaw followed Sam as he bounded excitedly over the grass, and ran up to meet a fluffy brown tom with spiked fur and short, stout legs. "Weasel!" He purred, nuzzling his friend. "Its so nice to see you! Hows the prey?" He greeted Weasel warmly, clearly excited. "Are Claw and Mouse here? I want y'all to meet someone!" He exclaimed. "This is Badgerfang, Turtleface, and Gilapaw! They're clan cats from across the desert, and they need cats to come with them!"

Weasel's cheerful face was replaced by a solemn one. "Oh... Uh, Mouse, she's-" he didn't finish, ignoring the introduction of the clan cats. Sam's eyes widened. He shook his head, and pushed past Weasel with worry, bursting into the barn.

"Mouse?! Mouse!" He cried. Weasel touched his tail to his shoulder.

"Sam, she's gone..." He whispered. "She died giving birth to Claw's kits." He explained, a faraway look in his eyes. "I'm sorry..."

Turtleface bowed her head, and Gilapaw followed her lead, Badgerfang too. Sam's tail drooped. "No... She was such a great friend!" He whispered. His eyes looked back up at his friend. "Is Claw here?" He asked tentatively. Weasel smiled, nodding.

"Yeah. He's inside playing with Moss and Pebble!"

Gilapaw couldn't help but smile. If we can get these kits to come with, we'd be coming home with a score! He thought triumphantly, his smile widening. Sam looked at Weasel and ducked inside the barn. Muffled mews of mixed sadness, joy, and excitement came from inside.

Gilapaw dipped his head to Weasel. "Hello! It's nice to meet you, I'm Gilapaw!" He introduced himself. Weasel smiled warmly to him.

"Pleasure! Weasel's the name!" He responded, and Gilapaw smiled. Weasel flicked his tail towards the entrance to the barn. "You're welcome to come in if you like, I don't bite!" He said to Badgerfang and Turtleface, and Turtleface smiled warmly.

"Thanks, Weasel!" She said cheerfully, flicking her tail across his nose and trotted dreamily inside. Badgerfang gave Gilapaw a look, and raised his eyebrows in question. Gilapaw in turn shrugged, and walked inside after her.

When he lifted his head, Turtleface was sitting with her flank nearly touching Sam, her tail beside his, facing the kits. Sam was smiling and speaking to a jet black tom that Gilapaw could only assume was Claw, both cats speaking with a hushed voice. Gilapaw cleared his throat, and Turtleface jumped, flinching away from Sam. She licked her ruffled chest in embarrassment. Gilapaw smiled, twitching his whiskers in amusement.

When Claw noticed Gilapaw, he immediately leaped over to the kits, stepping over them, hissing and fluffing up his fur. Badgerfang appeared behind Gilapaw, and Claw's back arched. Sam touched his fluffy cream tail to his friend. "Don't be alarmed, Claw! These are my friends, its okay!" He rushed to say. Claw stared at Gilapaw, his amber eyes boring into his fur. Gilapaw squirmed uncomfortably under his hard gaze.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" He growled to Sam. Sam nosed him up gently to reveal two shaking kits clutching underneath their father. One, a brown and black dappled calico she cat, and her larger brother, a stone colored tom. Claw reached down to mutter a soothing word and the two kits relaxed, settling into a seated position beside each other.

Sam stared at his paws. "No time. Anyways, Claw, this is Gilapaw, Badgerfang, and Turtleface. They come from the clans across the desert, and they are looking for cats to come live with them!" He explained quickly. "I thought you might want to know about it, you and Mouse always loved adventure..." He trailed off sadly. Weasel ducked in just as he finished.

"Adventure? Sign me up!" He laughed, his eyes wide and excited. Claw looked a little interested, but his face clouded at the mention of his deceased mate ever so slightly.

"Would you be interested, Claw?" Sam asked gently. "It could be good for you..." He glanced at the hay bales behind them, two empty nests side by side. Claw closed his eyes, and a tiny teardrop lingered at his eye.

"Sam, I don't know... I have to stay here with Mouse-" he broke off, staring at Moss and Pebble as they tumbled around on the ground.

"I'm gunna get ya!" Moss laughed. Pebble rounded on her, and dodged her leap, spinning around clumsily to land on her tail. "Ow!" She yelped, and swatted at his face. "Meanie! You'll pay for that!" She knocked him over roughly and tickled his belly.

"Ahh! No! Stop it, please!" He begged through giggles, clutching his stomach and trying to push her paws away. "Ahh!"

Gilapaw smiled. Then he turned to Claw. "We'd be very happy to care for you and your kits..." He began. "They are very strong and well built warriors. They would make a very fine addition to our clan." He said politely. Claw smiled, dipping his head.

"Thank you. I will think about your offer, I promise."