Chapter 18

Badgerfang gazed around at the group. Almost a half moon had passed since the fire.   They had lost Snowtip, who wanted to stay near her mate. She had decided to stay as a kittypet with Ryeflight, and Gilapaw and Turtleface had to agree with Badgerfang that they should let her choose. But they had also gained 10 cats, 6 of which were kits.

There was Sam and Weasel, whom both were eager to join. Moss and Pebble never left Gilapaw's side, and the two were growing stronger. The newest members they had found in an alley, half starved and scared. Their names were Scamp and Jenny, both siblings with thick red fur identical to each other. The only way to tell the two twins apart was their eyes, Jenny had dark brown eyes, and Scamp had bright blue. The two were becoming accustomed to the scrap of clan life they had a taste of since they left, and were always willing to lend a helping paw.

They had also stumbled upon a tiny, half starved she cat with a single eye. When the found her, the had asked her name, and she refused to do anything but nod or shake her head. After a coaxing from Gilapaw, they convinced her to lift her tail, revealing four newborn kittens. They offered to take her in, and she had nodded yes. She didn't have a name, so Badgerfang had given her the name Drizzle. She would get a full name if she chose to stay. Even after a few days together, Drizzle refused to speak. She seemed pretty shaken.

That night Turtleface had slept with Sam. The two cats were inseparable, and there was no doubt that they loved each other. Gilapaw slept beside Moss and Pebble, curling his tail around the two tiny kits. He couldn't wait to get home and bring Wishpaw a new family, she would be delighted. She might even be a warrior already!

He opened his eyes as Badgerfang cleared his throat. "Attention, everyone!" He called, his eyes warm. "I think we have enough cats. Lets head home, everyone." He said briskly. Turtleface and Sam both nodded, their flanks touching. They had been scouting around the twolegplace the past half moon, and it was pretty much time to go. Gilapaw nodded as well, the thought of seeing Wishpaw again made his heart leap with joy.

Scamp's eyes widened with excitement. "Finally! I can't wait, Jenny!" He crowed with joy, jumping around his sister. She purred and tackled him playfully.

Weasel looked up from grooming Moss. "I can't either, you make it all sound so exciting!" He purred. Sam smiled at his friend and nodded, turning his head to Turtleface, who was resting her head on his shoulder.

"Then its settled. We leave now." Badgerfang said, getting to his paws with a yawn. Pebble looked up at Gilapaw with his wide, blue eyes.

"Are we going to our new home, Gilapaw?" He asked. His storm grey pelt was neatly groomed as always. He opened his mouth to say something, and Badgerfang cleared his throat.

"I wasn't done. I think a ceremony is in place before we leave..." He said, his blue gaze resting on Gilapaw. Gilapaw stared back, confused.

"Me?" He asked, his voice wavering. Badgerfang answered with a nod.

"Gilapaw, though we are far from home, I call down on on my warrior ancestors to look down on this noble apprentice, though borne of an evil mastermind, has shown light and wisdom in his actions, and is determined to help his clan. For that, I honor him, and as I bestow his name upon him, I ask that you honor him too. From this day forward, he will be Gilafang."

"Gilafang! Gilafang!" The group cheered, Moss and Pebble the loudest. Gilafang smiled proudly, and held his tail high. The day was truly perfect.

*****

They traveled back across the desert all day, and almost the entire night. Paw pads cracked and raw, they stopped and set up camp near moonhigh, when Drizzle and Sam seemed too exhausted to go on. Gilafang's own paw pads were rubbed raw as well, but he barely felt it. He was eager to get home. I'll be in my nest tomorrow... He thought, filled with joy.

They set their nests in a circular fashion, kits and Drizzle in the middle with Badgerfang, Turtleface, Sam, Weasel, Jenny and Scamp surrounding them protectively. Gilafang lay with Moss and Pebble at his chest, sleeping peacefully.

When Gilafang woke, the sun was barely peeking above the horizon. He stretched, and, careful not to wake Moss and Pebble at his belly, picked his way out of the circle. His gaze swept over the group. Turtleface and Sam slept together, intertwined lovingly. Jenny and Scamp slept beside each other as well, but in a different way, as if they were protecting each other. Drizzle slept with her kits, curled defensively around them as if they would leave at any moment. Badgerfang sat under a cactus, staring at the sun as it rose.

Gilafang padded up next to him. He smiled. "Shall we wake the others?" He asked in a hushed tone. Badgerfang gave a curt nod.

"I can't wait another moment to be home." He said, a world of longing and heartache in his mew. He was just as homesick as Gilafang was.

"Then lets go home."