Chapter 5: Chris

I walked silently through the house in slippers from Pink and into Ryan and Kyle’s room. They were outside playing football or something.

            I creaked open the door and walked in. It smelled faintly of Axe, surprisingly not the bad kind. I snuck over to Ryan’s dresser and dug to the bottom. Score.

            I grabbed three of his old, tattered shirts and a sweatshirt along with two pairs of jeans, one ripped, one not. I also got hold of one pair of converse, and two old baseball caps he never wears. Like me, he has a lot of clothes, so chances are he won’t miss these. I’ll have to come back later to get some more.

            I was looking for some socks when I heard laughter and the slam of the front door.

            “Rematch after we get some lunch!” Ryan said.

            “Yeah, okay. Hold on, I gotta get something though,” Kyle replied. Footsteps were getting closer. Crap!

            I slammed the drawer shut and frantically looked around. Where to go?! He’s probably going to get something out of his closet….

            I dashed under the bed. I barely squeezed under when he creaked the door open.

            “Where did I put you?” Kyle mumbled to himself. “Under the bed, right!”

            He knelt down. I could feel my heart beating real fast. How was I going to explain this?

            “Oh, wait, no, I moved it.” He stood back up and it was all I could take to not exhale so loudly out of relief. He walked over to the closet, got out whatever he needed to get, and walked back to the kitchen.

            PHEW.

            I waited an extra minute to make sure he was gone, then as quietly as I could I pulled myself out along with the clothes. I silently tip-toed back into my room with the belongings, after I’d gotten some socks.

            Then, I walked over to the bathroom and found some wrap for sore ankles and stuff. I closed the cabinet quietly and walked back to my room.

            I shut the door and laid the stuff out on my bed. I could pull this off, right? Just then a thought popped into my head. If I was going to be Chris, where is Chloe going to be?

            I had to run away, something like that. THAT seemed like the hardest part to pull off.

            I threw the stuff in my bag and tromped into the kitchen. I had to start a scene.

            “Oh hey, Chloe,” Kyle said with a mouthful of sandwich.

            “Hi. What are you eating? I’m hungry.”

            “A BLT. Want one? The bacon’s so good; it’s really fresh.”

            “Um, ew,” I said, even though it sounded pretty good since I really was hungry. “Fresh bacon equals fresh stomach fat. No.”

            “What’s the problem now?” Aunt Joyce said, wiping her hands on her apron coming from the bathroom.

            “She doesn’t want a BLT,” Kyle said.

            “Alright then. Whaddya want?” Aunt Joyce asked me.

            “I have a taste for some spinach salad with mandarin oranges, toasted almonds, tossed in ginger dressing. Mmm, that sounds good right now.”