Chapter 9

Copyright (c) 2013. All rights reserved by the author.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"In all secrets there is a kind of guilt, however beautiful or joyful they may be, or for what good end they may be set to serve. Secrecy means exasion, and evasion means a problem to the moral mind."

                     - Gilbert Parker

After that particular meeting, I went home in a slightly dazed state, as did my mum, but hers was probably because she has always wanted to live in America. As in, she has wanted to move across the pond since she was ten. But first she was stopped by her parents, and then my dad couldn't find a job there, so she decided to stay in England.

       When we got home, my dad was helping my brother with his homework (he gets homework in year one: one of the strangest schools ever). He looked up and asked us: "How did it go? What did he say?"

       My mum filled him in with everything Mr Roberts had told us, and at the end, she hesitated.

       "Darling," she began, "there was one small catch though."

       My dad tensed up, obviously expecting something bad and extreme.

       "We have to move to Los Angeles, in America, if we want Emma to be a musician."

       The expression on my dad's face could only be described as pleasant shock.

       "Is that it?" He asked. "I thought it was going to be something drastic!"

       "It is drastic!" I burst out, flabbergasted. How could he be taking this so calmly? "We will have to move to another country! In a mother continent! Halfway across the world!"

        Both of my parents, and my brother for that matter, turned to look at me with surprise.

       "I thought this was what you wanted, Emma. Don't you want to do this? If not, that's entirely your choice. It is you who will be doing the stuff after all." My dad told me gently.

        "Yes, but-" I stammered, "what about my friends? What about your job?"

        "I could ask my boss if I can transfer to the American sector of our company. He was asking around for that this week anyway. It's a pretty good contract, actually. They'll give us a car and pay for Harry's private education. It wouldn't be that difficult, I'm sure he'd be relived, having finally found someone." He suggested.

        "Um, okay," I faltered, "what about family? Your friends?"

        "As I'm sure you know, your dad and I have always wanted to travel, and I'm sure we could come back once or twice a year to visit family and friends." My mum pointed out.

        "Emma," my dad put in, getting up and walking in my direction, "in my opinion, I think you should take this opportunity. Think of the chance! Many amateur musicians would give their right arm to be in your position! Besides, it would be a change of scene, a chance to make new friends. You're not bad at that, you made on at the library a week ago, no?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

         I pondered on this, and made up my mind.

        "Okay. Yeah, I do want to do this." I said with a deep breath, knowing in my heart that it was the right thing to do.

         My parents let out a cheer.

        "We're going to America!" My mum laughed, as if she couldn't believe it. "We're finally going to live in a place with good weather!"