Chapter 4

Eeekk ... Sorry for the long time between updating on here! I forgot I had also posted the story on this website ... My bad :) But enjoy the next couple of chapters :DD

xx 

......

The room descended into silence as everyone processed what Natasha said.

"What?" Tony was the first to speak, his voice laden with confusion as he stared at me funnily. "So you, and Clint, are ... " His hands pointed towards the two of us, making gestures even I couldn't understand, but implying something very obvious. I made a rash decision that I would probably come to regret later.

"No. We aren't. Not related, I mean," I spoke, my shaking voice sounding incredibly small in the echoing room. From the corner of my eye I watched Clint's face contort into an unreadable expression. Fury cleared his throat.

"You lied to me," he stated, annoyance clear in both his stance and expression.

"And? I may have lied, but I didn't trust you. I don't trust you. I saw no reason to correct your silly mistake. You obviously didn't look too far into my past to uncover the truth." Nick Fury looked as if he was about to say something more, but decided against it, letting his eyes run over me in an attempt to read me.

After a few minutes of doing nothing the group disbanded, everyone moving their separate ways. Eventually, only Clint and I were remaining, neither speaking, both lost deep in thought.

"You lied to Tony, didn't you." Clint broke the silence, and I didn't deny his statement, leading him to continue. "So we are related?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't know. To be honest, I have zero idea. I only know what my parents have told me, and trust me, that isn't much." I sighed, letting myself slide down the wall until I was sitting on the floor. Clint went to continue his talking, but was interrupted by Doctor Bruce Banner running into the room.

"Clint. Fury needs you on a ship, suited up. More Chitauri have been sighted, and Fury wants us out there to clear up any ... Mess, that might occur." Clint was straight to his feet and both men were almost out of the door when I cleared my throat, reminding them of my presence.

"I'm coming."

"No. No way," Clint stated, Banner nodding his head in agreement with Agent Barton.

"Yes way. I'm not staying here while you have all the fun. You can't stop me." I pushed past them and out into the hall, stopping quickly in my 'room' (more like a cell if you ask me) to retrieve my guns and knives, before continuing in the direction that I knew leaded to the air craft hanger. Luckily I met with Clint on the way, who, if rather reluctantly, handed me a vest and led the way. At the ship we were met with the rest of the team, and although I had already met most of them, Clint did the formal introductions. They seemed nice enough, and none of them questioned why I was there.

"Looking a bit green there, Eleanor?" Tony Stark grinned at me from the other side of the aircraft, and I glared back at him. I never had fared well with plan trips, let alone on a carrier driven by Agent Romanoff who seemed intent on causing me discomfort and pain. "Seems you've pissed off Natasha a small bit," Stark smiled and I groaned.

"She can get over it. She holds a grudge for way to long." The aircraft titled sharply to the left at my comment and I groaned again, my stomach churning as I fell to the side and into a familiar pair of arms.

"We have to stop meeting like this," Steve smiled, whispering into my ear before he straightened me up. A blush started to creep up my neck and I quickly turned to face the person on my right; Bruce Banner, a.k.a the hulk.

"I'm a big fan of your work," I smiled at him, confused as to how people feared him.

"My science work, or the way I turn into a big green monster?" He replied, a slightly pained look on his face as he anticipated the answer to his question. I worded my answer carefully in my head before I answered.

"A bit of both ... But more so the science. I studied a lot of your papers and research at school, and it certainly helped me get a better mark."

"Glad I could help." He smiled warmly at me, and I was glad I had said the right thing.

"Preparing to land! Grab your gear. Remember we don't have Thor with us this time, so we are relying purely on talent, no magic stuff!" Thor. I had completely forgotten about him ... In fact the thought of him terrified me. He was a god, not from this world... Something completely different to what we used to believe. As I felt the ship hit the ground, I leapt to my feet, pulling on the vest Clint gave me, and loading my gun, holding it ready. As the ramp was let down, it was revealed to us what we were dealing with. The group of monsters in front of us let out a collective war, and I gulped, terror racing through me. This was different to anything I had ever fought. These were Chitauri. Aliens, the same ones that just about destroyed New York. They were deadly dangerous, and I was standing here, ready to fight a group of them. What the hell was I thinking when I got onto that ship.