Chapter 12: Confrontation

You've been a wreck ever since you last went to Dave's house. You just can't seem to get what he said out of your head. God, you're an idiot for not just manning up and kissing him. He doesn't say much to you at school; he normally gives you a small smile and a wave as he passes by. It just isn't enough for you. Not after what he said. It's like you can still feel the kiss he left on your forehead...
Oh snap out of it, already.
You decide to confront him. You'll corner him after class and ask him if he really meant it when he indirectly said he loved you. On second thought, you won't. You'd probably end up jumping him, begging desperately for his love, and send him packing. You're so love struck it makes you sick to your stomach. You've practically been a ghost the past week or two. You can't remember how long it's been. Fuck, you can't remember anything.
You're currently walking on autopilot to class when you feel someone grab you by the arm. It's Dave. It has to be. You immediately spin around and tightly hug whoever it is. That is, until you realize they're not nearly as tall or muscular as Dave. Wincing, you slowly look up to see who it is.
"Heh, jeez Karkat. I'm glad to see you too," Oh. Well at least it was only John. That could've been much worse. You're about to let go and apologize when he hugs you back, "You've been pretty out of it and I just wanted to make sure you were okay. Well, that's one reason I came over."
"There were multiple reasons?" You ask, raising an eyebrow in confusion as you pull John towards the lockers and away from the crowd.
"Yeah, there were. Another was because my class is this way and I just so happened to see you, but it was mostly because I wanted to ask you about this," he motions to a paper about homecoming that was taped over your head.
"Well what did you want to ask me?"
"Are you going with anyone?"
You blush a light pink, your eyes scanning the halls behind him for Dave as you speak, "N-Not to my knowledge..."
John rubs the back of his neck nervously, "Would you maybe want to go with me?"
Oh fuck. Your ears lower as your cheeks heat up. You'd forgotten all about homecoming. Rather, you hadn't expected anyone but Dave to ask you to go, but he hasn't really talked to you since that night. Maybe it's a lost cause after all. Maybe he just said those things to try and make you feel better. The problem is that he did too good of a job. Those words were like cupid's arrow in your heart, but maybe it was a mistake.
Maybe it would be best for you to just keep being friends with Dave. John's a cute guy and the two of you aren't nearly as close. The least you can do is agree and see if you feel sparks, so you do. He's ecstatic to hear that and to prove so, he hugs you again, "Were gonna have so much fun, Karkat!" And you believe him. You enjoy the feeling of being held by him. It reminds you that it's just another thing that you don't need from Dave. You can get it from anybody. You're reluctant to let him go, but you know he has class, so you watch and wave as he disappears down the hall, a faint smile playing at your lips.
That is, until you see Dave leaning against the lockers on the other side of the hall. By now, everyone has cleared out, leaving you in Dave in a silent showdown. He smiles down at you, removing his shades and walking over to your side of the hall, "Hey Karkat. Couldn't help but hear that you and John are going to homecoming together. That's pretty cool. I don't think I'm gonna go. Dances aren't really my thing. Maybe I'll get the DJ gig again."
You hate the fact that he uses your full name. He's been doing it ever since that night. If only you'd spoken up before, but it's too late. You can't change the past, but you can still change the future, "Dave, I've been meaning to ask you about something."
He shrugs, "Go ahead. Shoot."
You look down, refusing to meet his gaze and speaking in a quiet voice, "The last time I came over...and you said all of those things...did you mean it when you said you-"
"Hey! You two! Get to class!" A teacher who had been walking down the hall calls to you.
Dave shakes his head and smiles down at you weakly, "Don't worry about that anymore, okay? Listen, you and john are going to have a lot of fun. Maybe I'll go if you want me to, but only on one condition."
Your ears lower again, "Which is?"
"Promise to save me the last dance," he smiles, a little more sincerely this time.
You crack a small smile and nod, "Consider it done."
The teacher was closer now, "Let's go ladies! Class! Now!"
Dave winces and quickly hugs you, "I'll see you around, Kitten," he says as he turns down the hall towards his class. Your heart flutters in your chest. He'll have to answer you then. You smile to yourself the whole way to class, still feeling warm from the hugs of John and Dave. You slide into your seat, alert for the first time in weeks. For once, you can't wait for homecoming to get here.

~Author's Note~
All I really have to say this time is that I can't think of a good title, so if you come up with one leave it in the comments or message it to me or something. Thanks loves. See y'all in the next chapter. Bye.
~L3X1B1RD~