001

connor

the air was nice, some leaves had fallen but quite a few were still green and holding on. fall was coming with a fast approach, as it was the second week of september. having no idea where i was headed, i just kept walking, turning on to random streets. i ended up in one of the richer neighborhoods of perth, the ones with lakes and nice little trees.

"mm, hmm, mhm," i hum, kicking a tiny pebble. it skids to a stop in front of another pair of converse. i look up at the boy. he had sparkling blue eyes and a curly little quiff. the boy bends down and picks up the pebble before turning away and walking down the sidewalk. i stare at him as he goes before he takes a sharp turn through some houses. curious, i tiptoe behind and watch. this captivating boy takes a winding path to a seemingly harmless lake with a dock. he walks out on the dock before sitting and crossing his leg under him.

as graceful as i can, i turn away and start to walk back to the sidewalk. i'm sure the owners of these houses would not like a random twenty year old boy trespassing in their yards.

but something stops me. singing. it's soft, sweet, and all around lovely. all i want to do is levitate and float to the voice.

"we are the new americana. high on legal marijuana. raised on biggie and nirvana. we are the new americana." i recognize the song as one of halsey's newer songs, new americana. obviously.

it's coming from the boy on the dock. his voice is gorgeous, i want more of it. surely he's some alternative artist i've never heard of, but will beat myself up for because i hadn't heard him sooner.

my feet move quicker than my mind can comprehend. before i can stop myself, i'm leaning over and tapping on this guy's shoulder to tell him that i like his voice.

he jumps up and stares at me for a brief second. i watch intently as he takes off his converse and sets them on the dock. his smile is rather allusive as he swiftly turns and jumps into the water, sinking to the bottom.

i watch in awe. what is he doing? my instinct is to help him or something, but i get up and run, run, run as fast as i can.