Chapter 9: Rescue Squad

Kai's POV

The Overlord's base looks like a desolated power plant.

"Remember, boys, stick to the shadows. Zane is in there, battling a coma. We have our Techno-Blades and elemental powers. Use them only when needed. Move out!" I instructed. For the others, traveling through the ventilation system was grueling. It was hot, humid, and sweat dripped from everyone's faces but mine.

"How much longer?" Cole complained.

"I don't know. I can't see any openings," I responded. For what seemed like hours we crawled and snuck through the vents without a sound. Finally, I saw an opening. Peering through the grate, I spotted six Nindroids pacing with blasters. Slightly looking upward, I noticed Zane chained up, hanging from the ceiling.

"He's in here. There are six Nindroids. Jay, you destroy the three on the farthest side. Cole, take the ones below us," I commanded. Cole conjured up two rocks and smashed two Nindroids, Jay shocked two receded ones, and then they engaged hand-to-hand combat with the last two. As they took out the cameras, I grabbed hold of the chains and melted them. Zane's restraints disintegrated, and he fell to the floor.

"I've got him," Cole called. His knees slightly bent as he caught our comatose brother.

"Great! Let's get out of here!" Jay replied.

"Hold it right there, ninja!" a voice yelled. We whipped around and faced our assailant.

"General Cryptor!" Cole gasped, surprised.

"Didja miss me, ninja?" Cryptor taunted.

"Oh, we missed you all right. Missed kicking your BUTT!" Cole retorted sarcastically.

"From what it looks like, I figured you missed your brother more than me," the commander chuckled. Cole looked down at Zane, limp in his arms like a deflated balloon, and looked back up, his face red.

"By the way, I did a simple calculation, and it seems that Zane is short on time to live," our adversary added. I've had enough. My hand catches fire, and I throw it at Cryptor. He wasn't expecting it, and as the projectile hit his face, he reeled back, randomly shooting bullets. Finally, his face fell to dust and his body dropped to the ground with sparking circuits.

"Let's move out!" I ordered.