Ice Skating

Becky sat to the right of me in my statistics class. I always valued her intelligences and I wanted to get to know her outside of class, outside of in class exercises. It was the start of winter, and in a few days Rosa Park Circle becomes an ice rink and will be open for the public. It was going to open up with the lighting of their Christmas tree. 

I wanted to ask Becky. For three days, I tried to build up the courage to ask her. But I didn't. The room was too silent and I cared too much about what everyone would think of me if they heard me asking a girl out in the middle of glass. All I managed to do was ask her how she was doing. But I never got to the topic. 

By Friday, and having lost my final chance to ask her. I was in the car as I looked at my phone and found Lisa's number, a dance whom I've met at the ballroom dancing workshops. I got her number just recently, but I haven't used it yet. So, I decided to call her. 

"Hi Lisa, how are you? I was wondering if you liked ice skating."

"I love ice cream! Why do you ask?"

"No, sorry, I meant ice skating, not ice cream. Rosa Park circle is opening up this weekend. I was hoping that you would like to come with me?"

"Oh. Yeah! Ice skating is great to. That sounds fun." 

"Great.... I'll see you tomorrow."

We hung up soon after. I looked at the ceiling of my car and I tried to grasp what had just happened. "She said, yes." I said to myself. I couldn't believe how easy that was. 

------------

It was easy to be around with her. I brought my iPod for the car ride, and we listened to various songs along the way. We talked about music and we had a blast. 

As we walked down town, I thought about holding her hands several times, but I couldn't get myself to do it. "We dance together all the time!" I thought to myself. "Why couldn't I get myself to hold her hand." 

By the time we got out skates on, and go on the ice, I thought, "This is a good time to hold her hand," and I did, and she accepted it without hesitation. I felt a great sense of joy. 

We did several laps around the ice rink and we talked about everything from movies to books to video games. I was amazed that she played video games too. I thought she was a keeper. I felt a connection with her and I wanted to spend as much time as I could with her. 

Eventually, we left the ice rink, but we kept holding hands. I wanted to find someplace warm, because I was freezing. I don't know if she was feeling the same. After walking around for a bit and realizing that the stores were all closed, I decided to walk us back to my car. I wanted to just sit there and listen to more music for awhile, but she told me she had to go home, and I responded. We didn't kiss or anything that night, but we both agreed that we both had a really good time.